Volleyball drops fifth straight against Ohio

0f4a5033
Members of the CMU women's volleyball team listen to their coach during a media timeout on Sept. 20 at McGuirk Arena.

After dropping the Mid-American Conference opener on Thursday against Eastern Michigan, the Central Michigan volleyball team fell to Ohio (7-8, 2-0 MAC) in their fifth straight loss, 3-0.

Now 3-11 on the season and 0-2 in the MAC, CMU heads on the road next weekend to face Toledo and Ball State. Despite the loss, head coach Mike Gawlik was happy with the effort from his team.

"I know we didn't win, and that part sucks," said head coach Mike Gawlik. "All in all, I was pretty pleased with the level of volleyball."

Freshman Maddie Whitfield, sophomore Lyza Myers and Sophomore Kalina Smith led the team with 9 kills each. Freshman setter Kendall Bratte finished with 28 assists.

"I'm encouraged by the fact that we don't necessarily need one layer that kills thirty balls," Gawlik said. "When you're designed to win that way, you don't really live and die by one player's performance on any given night."

CMU kept it close in each of the three sets, falling 26-24 in set one, 25-21 in set two and 25-22 in set three. 

"We were knocking on the door in all three sets," Gawlik said. "I think if we keep creating opportunities, I think we'll finish those off."

After the match, Gawlik was pleased with the fact that the team was able to hang with what he considered one of the best in the conference, hoping for a confidence boost from the effort.

"I have a lot of respect for Ohio," Gawlik Said. "I told the group that they are a pretty elite level team in the conference and I think we showed tonight, that we can play with them."

CMU looks to end their losing streak next weekend, taking on Toledo at 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 28 and Ball State at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 29 to round out the weekend road trip.