Legends of the Dark haunted tours return

A gosht of the past comes to haunt those who participates in the Legends of the Dark campus walk.

Back for Halloween at Central Michigan University is Trout Residence Hall's 23rd annual “Legends of the Dark” haunted campus tours.

CMU's “Legends of the Dark” campus tours serve as both a fundraiser for Trout Hall and a fun way for the Mount Pleasant community to get into the Halloween spirit while learning spooky history about the campus. 

The tours run Wednesday, Oct. 24 through Friday, Oct. 26 and money raised from ticket sales will go toward funding Trout Hall, a residence hall on the northwest side of campus that houses many of CMU’s honors program students. 

Student tour-guides will lead a walking tour from one end of campus to the other in an hour-long tour telling spooky stories of ghosts and ghouls that are said to reside on campus. Tours will start at 7:30 p.m. each day with the last tour starting at 10:30 p.m. Tours will leave every 10 minutes from the Down Under Food Court in the Bovee University Center. 

Throughout the tour, student volunteers will be positioned around the tour route to scare and surprise tour-goers to add an extra bit of spookiness to the tour. 

The outside tours will visit the back of Warriner Hall, where some claim to see lights turning on and off on the sixth floor, which has been closed off for decades. Tours will also visit the old site of Barnard Residence Hall, the CMU seal, Grawn Hall and Barnes Residence Hall.

Tour tickets can be purchased at Trout Hall for $4 per person if purchased before 5 p.m. on the day of the tour, or $5 per person after 5 p.m. on the day of the event. The number of tickets remaining on a specific day and time can be found on the Legends of the Dark website

Participants are encouraged to come 10-15 minutes before their tour leaves to make sure that they are with the correct tour group. Participants should dress accordingly to the weather and wear appropriate walking shoes.