Nathan Brisson-Fast suffers season-ending injury

football-vs-wmu024
Senior defensive lineman Nathan Brisson-Fast is taken off the field after an injury on Oct. 20 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Near the end of Central Michigan's 35-10 loss to Western Michigan, defensive lineman Nathan Brisson-Fast took a hit from an opposing player.

CMU coach John Bonamego said it wasn't a colossal hit, but the impact caught Brisson-Fast off balance.

The result was a leg injury which required surgery. Brisson-Fast is out for the remainder of the 2018 season. 

"It's unfortunate, especially the way it happened," Bonamego said. "It wasn't an ACL, but it's a shame."

Along with being out for the season, Brisson-Fast's career at CMU is over. He is currently a fifth-year senior for the Chippewas and will not be eligible to return in 2019. 

Brisson-Fast underwent surgery on Oct. 22, but Bonamego said he plans to have him rejoin the team for practice to help younger players develop in the next week or so.

Through seven games played in 2018, the 6-foot-5, 270-pound defensive lineman registered 31 tackles, six tackles for a loss, 2.5 sacks, one pass defended and two forced fumbles.

Defensive ends Mike Danna and Mitch Stanitzek, center Steve Eipper, running back Jonathan Ward and quarterback Tommy Lazzaro are all currently day-to-day in attempt to recover from injuries against WMU. Lazzaro did not practice on Oct. 23.