Clinical Exercise Lecture Series to kick off Oct. 9

Claude Bouchard will speak about how fitness levels are modified by training and sedentary lifestyles

screen-shot-2018-10-02-at-4-07-27-pm
Claude Bouchard

Professor and researcher Claude Bouchard will visit Central Michigan University to speak about fitness levels amongst training and sedentary lifestyles. 

Bouchard's speech is part of the Richard B. Parr Endowed Clinical Exercise Lecture Series. The event will begin at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9 in the Bovee University Center Rotunda.

Bouchard's research examines how health and fitness performance are affected by lifestyle changes. He is a professor and director of the human genomics laboratory at Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. 

Bouchard has expertise in metabolism, obesity and exercise genetics. In 2002, he received the honor award from the American College of Sports Medicine. He has coauthored more than 1,000 scientific papers, and has edited and written 35 books. 

His lecture will be followed by a Q&A, where audience members may ask about Bouchard's research. The lecture is part of an annual series that began last year in the College of Health Professions.

The lecture series was created in memorial of Richard B. Parr, said Heather Schlorff, executive secretary of the College of Health Professions. Parr taught at CMU for more than 43 years, and served on the Advisory Council for the College of Health Professions. According to his obituary, Parr died at age 72 in December 2015.

Parr will be paid tribute by his son, who will introduce Bouchard at the event, said Schlorff. His wife will also be in attendance among the many faculty that knew Parr during his time at CMU.

"We have seats for 300," Schlorff said. "To my understanding, last year was standing room only."