COLUMN: Why I stand with Christine Blasey Ford

cbf
Courtesy Photo | BBC.com

I am an American male, I stand with Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, and I am not the only one. 

An advertisement recently published in The New York Times displayed the names of 1,600 men who also show their support for the victim of violent sexual assault at the hands of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. 

The style and format resemble the 1991 advertisement in support of Anita Hill, who had a similar sexual assault case against Supreme Court Justice, Clarence Thomas. The advertisement displayed the names of 1,600 African American women who all believed Hill’s statements. 

Despite the allegations, and credible evidence, Thomas was sworn in. Thomas continues to serve today.

History must not be allowed to repeat itself.

On Sept. 27, Ford and Kavanaugh appeared before U.S. Senators for a formal hearing.

Dr. Ford was first with her opening statement. She described the events that occurred the night of 1982 in graphic detail then proceeded to explain how the experience has continued to affect her adult life. 

Ford brought forth the allegations, knowing the impact it would have on her personal life. “My family and I have been the target of constant harassment and death threats. I have been called the most vile and hateful names imaginable,” she said. 

Those who would doubt Dr. Ford’s honesty do not consider this simple fact — coming forward with her story has taken an enormous toll on her life. 

What reason would Ford have to lie to the senate and to the American public? To gain some political advantage? To satisfy some personal vendetta? 

To lie for these motives and risk the safety of her friends and loved ones as well as tarnish her name by recalling traumatic and despicable events would be completely absurd and nonsensical. 

A Pursuit of Justice defines the qualities of a supreme court nominee: "a justice should exhibit proper judicial temperament, ethics, courage, and integrity," something judge Kavanaugh failed to demonstrate during his testimony. 

Dr. Ford performed her civic duties at last Thursday’s hearing by detailing the events of the summer of 1982. By doing so, she reinforces the key characteristics of a Supreme Court Justice. Kavanaugh fails to display these qualities.

First, he let anger fuel his voice in an emotionally-charged opening statement. Kavanaugh viciously denied the allegations claiming, “This confirmation process has become a national disgrace. The Constitution gives the Senate an important role in the confirmation process, but you have replaced advice and consent with search and destroy.”

Later, Kavanaugh lashed out at Sen. Dick Durban for recommending suspending the hearing until the FBI investigation has reached a conclusion. 

“Judge, if there is no truth to her charges, the FBI investigation will show that. Are you afraid that they might not?” Durban asked.

“The FBI does not reach conclusions. You know that’s a phony question because the FBI doesn’t reach conclusions,” Kavanaugh said.

Despite the clear holes in Kavanaugh’s argument, Republican Senators, such as Lindsey Graham, stood in Kavanaugh’s corner. Graham called the event the "most despicable" thing he has witnessed in his time in politics.

I believe Ford was sexually assaulted by Kavanaugh in high school.

I believe the "uproarious laughter" of Kavanaugh and his friend Mark Judge still haunts her to this day. 

I believe no one who performs this type of violence on their fellow human being has a place on the most esteemed court of justice in the United States.