Freshman discusses theater performances, Broadway aspirations

image-3

Pigeon freshman Halle Keim smiles Oct. 8 in Robinson Residential Restaurant. 

Halle Keim has a love for acting and theater. As the Pigeon freshman pursues her passions, she is still figuring out what she wants to do with her career. Central Michigan Life interviewed the communications major about her life, Broadway aspirations and the changes she has experienced at Central Michigan University.

CMLife: Where are you from? How would you describe your hometown to someone who has never been there before?

Keim: I’m from the thumb of Michigan. I always describe it as very flat. The sky is huge. There are lots of cows and lots of fields. As far as the community I live in, we are very close knit, which was a huge blessing growing up. I felt very fortunate to be a part of my community.

What kind of person were you in high school and how have you changed? 

In high school I was always very involved. I would do whatever I could. Sometimes I would be over-involved and I was very high strung. Since coming to college I’ve kind of loosened up a little bit. I have been able to choose more of what I want to do and what I’m interested in, rather than what I felt like I had to do back in high school. Even though I loved everything I did in high school, a lot of it was stuff I felt obligated to do. Here, I can really narrow down my focus and do what I want and what I’m passionate about. That’s been really neat for me, to change in that way, and it’s loosened up a lot of my time too. I can be more flexible with my schedule so I’m not as high strung as I was four months ago, which is really cool for sure.  

What is your dream job? 

If I could have my dream life and do anything that I wanted to do, I would be on Broadway and live in New York City

Does communications have anything to do with performing?

Potentially. I’m not 100 percent sure what I want to do with that. A lot of it depends on where I end up living and logistic things like that. If I had the opportunity to work in Midland Center for the Arts and their production realm, I would most definitely capitalize on those opportunities. A lot of what happens behind the scenes and things within shows has to do with communications. I think that my major will definitely point me in that direction somehow-- at least I hope so.

What Broadway shows would you want perform in and why? 

My number one bucket list show would be "Wicked" because that’s been my favorite show since I was eight years old. (I saw it) with my mom and ever since then I have loved Broadway. I love performing in shows, I love seeing shows and I have seen a lot (of plays) since. It would be really cool to be able to be in that first show that sparked my interest.

You said you like being in shows, do you perform? 

I do. I was in six productions throughout my high school career and a few before that. This past year, I was in "Mary Poppins" and then I was in "Abominable" as well. Those are the two most recent shows I have done.

What’s your favorite show you’ve performed in?

I think my favorite show that I’ve performed in would be between two -- "Cinderella" because I was a step sister with my best friend (or) "Miss Nelson is Missing." I was the teacher/substitute teacher so I got to be the nice teacher and then disguise myself as Viola Swamp. It was fun and so many great memories were made through that show. We got to go to States (competition) for the first time in a very long time in my school’s history so that was a neat experience.

How do you want to be remembered when you die? 

As always making time for people and showing the love of Jesus to people in any and all situations, no matter what is happening in my life and the circumstances that (they) are going through. For always being able to show love to people and make time for them.