MAC TV hosts 5th annual Monster Movie Competition

44740204_305333570194632_5448664158167891968_n
(From left to right) Nick Toner, sports director, Nick Boyer, video producer and Diamond Neph, high school co-op work on film production for MAC TV.

Throughout the month of October Mid-Michigan Area Cable Consortium (MAC TV) has been accepting entries to their 5th annual Monster Movie Competition.  

MAC TV is a non-commercial television station that provides public access to electronic media and equipment, according to its website. The network also offers free training for community members and Central Michigan University students.

In 2014 MAC TV began this annual film competition to inform members of Mid-Michigan communities that the network is a resource for filmmakers. 

“Our main goal behind the competition is to let the public know that we are here as a resource for them,” said Eleanor Etienne, competition director. “They are welcome to make monster movies on their own equipment but ours is also available to the public for free, as well as training. We want to let people know that we are here for them.” 

The entries will be collectively shown at 5 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 29 at Celebration Cinema. Winners will be awarded prizes at the end of the showing. 

To qualify for the movie monster competition contestants must be 12 years or older, a resident of the community and a Charter Communications subscriber. 

While the competition is free and open to the public, it mainly serves as a creative opportunity for aspiring filmmakers. Each submitted film must shorter than 10 minutes and feature monsters or have a horror aspect. 

“In general I have noticed that independent films tend to lean towards a horror genre – it’s a little easier for starting filmmakers,” Etienne said. “We wanted to have an easy genre for anyone to do.”

Registration for the competition ends at 5 p.m. Oct. 26 and can be done for free at mactvnetwork.org/monster with a Google or Gmail account.

MAC TV intern and film society member, South Lyon senior Ryan Schmitz, said the contest draws in a diverse group of people with varying skills that all share the common interest of watching horror movies.

“This competition is unique because this is a college town with people who aspire to be behind the camera doing this work," Schmitz said. "There are also locals who just love to make their own films."

Filmmaker and senior at Saint Louis High School, Diamond Neph, said he is excited that his film entry is going to be shown on the “big screen.” Neph, who participates in MAC TV's co-op program, said entering the competition makes his work feel more "real."

“I think that a lot of people may feel intimidated by the notion of (their film) being shown on the theater screen,” Neph said. “Where in actuality the stakes have never been lower. Everyone who is going to attend is going to be supportive of each entry.”