Soccer’s final game will decide postseason fate

cmuvsmiami-20

Redshirted freshmen defender Abby Willerer (7) walks in arms with senior forward Lexi Pelafas (3) after defeating Miami on Oct. 21 at the Soccer Complex.

If they win, Central Michigan soccer players make the Mid-American Conference Tournament. If they lose or tie, the Chippewas' postseason fate is up to the results of other conference games.

CMU remains in control of their MAC tournament fate with one game remaining in the regular season against Eastern Michigan. At this point in the season, the Chippewas are 7-11 overall and 5-5 in the conference. 

Postseason Implications 

The top eight teams in the MAC advance to the end of season tournament. CMU is in a sixth-place tie with Buffalo (11-6, 5-5), but there are three teams that could potentially overtake the Chippewas in the MAC standings if they lose their final game at Eastern Michigan (9-10, 4-6) on Thursday.  

Toledo (8-8-2, 4-5-5) and Akron (7-9-2, 4-5-5) could pass CMU with a CMU tie or loss. Eastern Michigan also needs to win if they seek tournament berth. 

What to Expect

Eastern Michigan is capping off a three-game home stand that resulted in a win over Miami (Ohio) and a loss to Ball State. 

The Eagles attack is paced by two talented forwards — junior Kristin Nason and sophomore Sabrina McNeil.  Nason is eighth in the MAC with 18 points while McNeil is tied for ninth with 17 points.  Goaltender Mabel Dunn has started the past six games for Eastern Michigan and sits at eighth in the MAC for save percentage. 

As a team, EMU ranks third in the MAC with 100 total saves. EMU doesn't have trouble putting themselves in position to score, ranking No. 1 in the MAC with 111 corners.  

The Chippewas come into the pivotal game after a dominant over Miami (Ohio). 

“It’s momentum now, “CMU coach Peter McGahey said following the win. “Rest, recovery, get your mindset right and go into Eastern — a game that is basically a play-in game for the playoffs.”    

Senior Lexi Pelafas is the Chippewas main source of offense. Her nine goals are sufficient for a third-place tie in the MAC. CMU swaps between starting Morgan Britain and Briana Walbridge in net, each have two shutouts. 

CMU will travel to Ypsilanti, Michigan to take on the Eagles on Thursday at 3:00 p.m. at Scicluna Field. Follow the stats live at emueagles.com/sidearmstats/wsoc/summary.