Tsatsos parents offer forgiveness on third anniversary of son's death

Paul and Julie Tsatsos speak at a press conference on the search for the person responsible for the 2015 hit-and-run death of their son Ryan, on Oct. 31, 2018 at the Michigan State Police Mount Pleasant Post.

Three years after their son was killed in an unsolved hit-and-run on Halloween night, the parents of Ryan Tsatsos are still looking for closure, and offering forgiveness.

The Macomb freshman was killed by an unknown driver shortly after midnight on Nov. 1, 2015, near the corner of Deerfield and Crawford roads while walking back to his dorm from a Halloween party.

The Tsatsos family spoke to reporters during an annual press conference on Oct. 31 at the Michigan State Police Mount Pleasant Post. Lt. Todd Parsons, MSP assistant post commander, opened the press conference with a plea to anyone with information on the accident to come forward.

"We're asking the public for help in bringing some closure to the (Tsatsos) family," Parsons said. "The Tsatsos family has bravely suffered through this for three years — let's begin the healing phase."

Wearing the same button with a picture of Ryan that she was worn for every annual press conference, Julie Tsatsos clarified that the family is not focused on punishing those responsible — the family now just wants closure for everyone involved.

"We want that person to be able to live in peace and happiness," Julie said. "Don't be fearful — come forward. You're having that (grief) in your life, and you're holding on to that every single night. It's hard carrying a burden every day, and we just want to forgive and make everyone feel a little less pressure and not be fearful any longer."

Paul Tsatsos said the family will not stop searching until they find out the truth about Ryan's death.

"As a dad, you think about all the things you want to teach your kids — the things you want to do for them and the ways you want to teach them and mold them and train and support them," Paul said. "My role as a father is relegated to watering the lawn at the cemetery now. That's all I have.

"I was angry for a long time — now I'm just tired. I'm too tired to be angry anymore. We don't want to ruin someone else's life — we want you to be able to live a life."

The $10,000 reward for information about Tsatsos' death is still being offered, with $7,500 coming from the Tsatsos family and $2,500 offered by the Crime Stoppers of Flint & Genesee County. Tips can be submitted anonymously by visiting crimestoppersofflint.com or by calling 1-800-422-JAIL (5245).

Parsons said MSP is still looking into evidence found at the scene of the crime, including a paint chip from a dark metallic blue vehicle.

"This is not about an arrest and prosecution," Parsons said. "This is about closure for Ryan's parents. Anything after that will come as it does."

The Tsatsos' lost both of their sons to car accidents in a three-month period. Ryan's older brother Darryl was killed in a car crash on July 26, 2015. Tears filled Julie's eyes when she described feeling "lost" after losing both sons.

"(Ryan and Darryl) were my life — being a mom was all I wanted to be," Julie said. "I don't feel I have a purpose. We go on, but we don't live."

This would have been Ryan's senior year.