Western Michigan evens up MAC West standings in Week 8

football-vs-wmu026

Western Michigan players rush the Victory Cannon after their win over Central Michigan University on Oct. 20 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Western Michigan’s 35-10 win was more than just a victory over rival Central Michigan for the Victory Cannon trophy.

With Northern Illinois (4-3, 4-0 Mid-American Conference) on a bye week, the Broncos (6-2, 4-0) have now moved into a first place tie with the Huskies in the MAC West Division. The two teams meet to finish the regular season on Nov. 20 at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo.

The Broncos won their sixth game on the back of their rushing tandem of junior LeVante Bellamy and senior Jamauri Bogan. Bellamy had a game-high 145 yards with a score and Bogan added 97 yards with a touchdown of his own. This was Bronco head coach Tim Lester’s first win against the Chippewas (1-7, 0-4).

Week 7 Scoreboard - Saturday, Oct. 20

Army 31, Miami (Ohio) 30 (2OT)

Ohio 49, Bowling Green 14

Eastern Michigan 42, Ball State 20

Akron 24, Kent State 23 (OT)

Buffalo 31, Toledo 17

WMU 35, CMU 10

Following the results, Buffalo (7-1, 4-0) remained undefeated and is in first place of the MAC East Division. Here is a deeper look into Saturday’s action.

Army 31, Miami 30 (2OT)

With less than five minutes to play, the RedHawks (3-5, 3-1) put together a 14-point comeback to send the game into overtime. 

However, Miami’s effort fell short on a decision to go for two, which they did not convert, in the second overtime. Redshirt senior quarterback Gus Ragland threw for 329 yards with four touchdowns. Miami’s redshirt senior linebacker Brad Koenig racked up a career-high 23 tackles in the loss.

Ohio 49, BGSU 14

Junior quarterback Nathan Rourke totaled five touchdowns to lead the Bobcats (4-3, 2-1) to a blowout victory over the Falcons (1-7, 0-4) on homecoming. 

Redshirt senior running back Maleek Irons rushed for 116 yards on just 12 attempts while redshirt senior wideout Papi White scored two receiving touchdowns.

EMU 42, BSU 20

All of the Eagles (4-4, 2-3) touchdowns were scored by six different players as they walked away with a home victory against the Cardinals (3-5, 2-2). Graduate transfer Tyler Wiegers threw for 257 yards on 22-of-28 passing with 3 touchdowns through the air and one on the ground. 

Senior tailback Shaq Vann added 63 yards on the ground with a score. Junior linebacker Brody Hoying led the defense with 11 tackles.

Akron 24, KSU 23 (OT)

It was an back and forth affair between these two rivals which ultimately granted the Zips (3-3, 1-2) a win on the last play of the game. KSU (1-7, 0-4) scored a touchdown in the first overtime but bobbled the snap on the extra-point causing them to not convert the point after attempt. 

The game-winning touchdown came from Akron’s sophomore quarterback Kato Nelson who found sophomore wide receiver Andre Williams for an 8-yard score in the first overtime. 

UB 31, UT 17

UB went to the locker room trailing 17-7 but returned with a different style of play in the second half, scoring 24-unanswered points to capture the win over the Rockets (3-4, 1-2). The Bulls held UT’s MAC-leading scoring offense to 65 yards and zero points in the second half. 

Junior quarterback Tyree Jackson threw for 326 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions, two of which came in the first half.