Women’s basketball battles South Dakota State

cmuvsoakland-7
Senior guard Presley Hudson runs through Oakland players on Nov. 8 at McGuirk Arena.

Led by the Big Three of Presley Hudson, Micaela Kelly and Reyna Frost, as head coach Sue Guevara calls them, the Central Michigan women’s basketball team got off to the start it hoped for in a season-opening blowout.

Once the final whistle sounded against Oakland, Guevara flipped the switch to CMU’s upcoming battle against South Dakota State at 7 p.m. on Nov. 12. The game will be played at McGuirk Arena. 

“We aren’t focused on anything else,” Guevara said. “You’ll hear me say that over and over and over. That’s the truth.”

In CMU’s 104-61 victory against the Golden Grizzlies on Nov. 8, Hudson, Kelly and Frost combined for 70 points, 17 rebounds and 13 assists on 24-of-40 shooting from the field. 

Dating back to the exhibition against Northwood University, the Chippewas have received a continuous contribution from freshman center Jahari Smith, who played the same number of minutes as Frost in the most recent game.

Against Oakland, Smith tossed in 14 points and 11 rebounds. She was 5-of-8 from the field and 4-of-5 at the free throw line. Smith’s free throw game has only grown since joining Guevara’s team.

Smith hopes to continue to championship precedent set by Hudson, Frost and the rest of Team 50 from a season ago. 

"Watching them do what they did last year and seeing all the success and the rings and the banners, I just want it to be me," the freshman center said.

Scouting South Dakota State

Just as CMU did, South Dakota State made the 2018 NCAA Tournament due to winning the Summit League postseason title. The Jackrabbits, coached by Aaron Johnston, were ranked No. 8 and fell to Villanova in overtime during the first round, 81-74.

South Dakota State lost its season-opener to No. 19 Marquette before taking down Florida Gulf Coast on Nov. 9, 80-62. 

In its most recent game against the Eagles, South Dakota State was led by redshirt senior guard Macy Miller, who poured in 25 points on 10-of-15 shooting from the field. Also scoring in double figures was sophomore guard Myah Selling, senior guard Madison Guebert and redshirt junior forward Tagyn Larson. 

Miller, along with producing a game-high in scoring, added five rebounds and one assist.

Of the Jackrabbits starting five from a season ago, Johnson's group has only lost forward Ellie Thompson and guard Alexis Alexander to graduation. The team finished 26-7 overall and 12-2 in the Summit League.

In 2017-18, Thompson averaged 8.8 points, 5.7 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game. Alexander tossed in 4.7 points and 3.6 rebounds on each time out. 

Besides South Dakota State, CMU will play five other 2018 NCAA Tournament teams in the nonconference – Western Kentucky, Virginia, Quinnipiac, No. 5 Louisville and No. 25 Miami (Fla.).

"Our kids come here to play good competition," Guevara said. "That's one of the knocks against mid-majors. We have the players I feel can compete and want to compete. Our nonconference, regardless of how we come out, doesn't matter. This schedule gets us ready for January, February and March.

"It's all about March."