Roundtree's heroics give men's basketball win in Junkanoo Jam

cmuvsconcordia-3
Senior guard Shawn Roundtree shoots a free throw on Nov. 6 at McGuirk Arena.

UPDATE: With Cal State Bakersfield's win over Weber State on Sunday night, Central Michigan earned the championship of the inaugural men's Junkanoo Jam. CMU's 12-point defeat of CSU Bakersfield in the first game made the difference as all three top teams finished 2-1 in tournament. Larry Austin Jr. was named Junkanoo Jam Most Valuable Player. Kevin McKay made the All-Tournament team.

Climbing back from a 13-point deficit, Central Michigan men's basketball guard Shawn Roundtree Jr. tossed up a potential go-ahead runner.

The shot hung in the air and fell through the bottom of the net, handing the Chippewas a 76-74 lead over San Jose State with 2.9 seconds left.

Roundtree's bucket proved to be enough, as the Spartans (1-4) were unable to take a final shot as the whistle sounded, giving CMU a two-point victory on Nov. 18 in the Junkanoo Jam. The Chippewas finished the tournament with a 2-1 record. 

The intensity of the game was so high throughout the entire contest, which caused CMU coach Keno Davis to lose his voice early.

"Some nights shots aren't falling and other teams make plays," Davis said. "We found a way and made enough plays down the stretch. Our guys had the attitude that they would win the game."

Of Roundtree's 16 points, he poured in four in the final 16 seconds. The senior guard put the Chippewas (4-1) ahead 74-73 on two free throws. 

San Jose State guard Brae Ivey tried to counter, but he went 1-for-2 at the line to just even the score with eight seconds remaining, but Roundtree's final shot proved to be the difference. 

"We came back and made the play," Davis said. "It was nice not to have to play another five minutes by taking care of things in regulation. Shawn has that poise about him."

Earlier in the second half, Isaiah Nichols knocked down a 3-pointer with 9:36 left for a 63-50 edge, capping a 15-0 run against CMU. From that point on, Roundtree led the Chippewas to a 26-11 run of their own – skating to a win.

"We took the ball to the basket," Davis said. "We have to learn that when the shots are falling, we can still score at the basket, in the post and off the dribble. The 3-point shot will come from the inside out."

Junior forward David DiLeo, considered CMU's top outside shooter, was 0-for-7 from 3-point range. His only two points came from free throws. 

Despite Roundtree's heroics, junior forward Kevin McKay paced CMU throughout the entire contest. He logged 24 points, 12 rebounds, four steals and three assists. Boasting a 6-foot-5 stature and the ability to play anywhere on the court, McKay was 11-of-17 from the field. 

CMU trailed 39-35 at halftime, partially due to poor efforts from the 3-point line – a direct reflection of San Jose State's tenacious zone defense. The Chippewas finished 7-of-30 from beyond the arc, while San Jose State was 10-of-23, good for 43.5 percent. 

Davis' group was also out rebounded by six but forced the Spartans into nine more turnovers.

San Jose State's trio of Ivey, forward Michael Steadman and center Craig LeCesne combined for 38 points.

Davis said CMU will use the victory to help build confidence throughout the nonconference schedule and into Mid-American Conference action.

"Confidence is one of those things," Davis said. "Sometimes you feel like you're snake-bit if a few (close games) go against you. I'm sure San Jose State feels that."