EDITORIAL: Good luck to the women's basketball team as they kick off another season

wbb-vs-northwood025
Head Coach Sue Guevara talks to her team during a timeout against Northwood on Nov. 1 at McGuirk Arena.

Women's basketball made Central Michigan University history last season.

In its 50th season, the team earned their first and second NCAA championship. They finished with a program-high of 30 wins, in the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA tournament.

As the Chippewas faced teams from programs much larger than CMU, nobody could have predicted they would make it all the way to the Sweet 16. They started their season as the underdogs, but quickly rose to the top and proved to everyone what they were made of.

It was a record-setting season for the Chippewas, with seniors Tinara Moore and Cassie Breen both setting records. Breen became CMU's leading 3-point scorer in history and Moore finished with a record-high 215 blocks in four years. 

Congratulations to the CMU women's basketball team for making it to the Sweet 16 for the first time ever in CMU history, and congratulations to head coach Sue Guevara for leading her team through an unforgettable season. 

You made CMU proud.

The men's basketball team officially begins their season Nov. 6 against the Concordia Cardinals at home. Make sure to support the Chippewas throughout their season. We wish them the best of luck. 

Now going into her 12th season with the women's basketball team, Guevara has four MAC West Division titles, a MAC tournament championship in 2018 and a trip the NCAA Tournament’s Sweet 16. She’s won the MAC Coach of the Year award twice. The program has nine total seasons of 20 wins or more, and Guevara owns seven of them, all of which in the past eight years. 

We wish Guevara and the team another great season of winning games and setting records. We're excited to see what new opportunities this season will hold.

The Chippewas will officially begin their 2018-19 campaign on Nov. 8 against the Oakland University Golden Grizzlies at home. Be there and cheer on the team to their first victory of the season!

Fire up Chips!