Community rallies to show support for women affected by racist incident in Sweeney Hall

sweeney-incident-4

Students light candles during the CMU chapter of the NAACP's protest of a racist event that happened Nov. 7 in Sweeney Hall. 

Less than 24 hours after racist comments were written on the whiteboard outside Detroit sophomore Yasmeen Duncan's dorm room, the Central Michigan University chapter of the NAACP organized a protest in support of the individuals affected. 

Detroit sophomore Yasmeen Duncan speaks during the CMU chapter of the NAACP's protest of a racist event that happened Nov. 7 in Sweeney Hall. 

Candles were lit and a community gathered in solitude and unity at the Nov. 8 rally outside Sweeney Hall.

“We (at the NAACP) saw a problem and knew we had to come up with a solution,” NAACP Student Government Association Representative Patrick Riley said. “Sadly, it had to come from this, but I think it’s important that moving forward we come together as a student body -- not as white CMU, black CMU or multicultural CMU -- we come together as a student body and we work toward making change.” 

The rally opened with Black Student Union President Monet Robinson clarifying that the event was a peaceful protest. 

“We need to be able to express ourselves and be heard in the correct way so that we can reach out further,” Robinson said.

CMU NAACP chapter President Australyah Coleman, two of the women affected by the incident and President Davies also took the stage, sharing their thoughts regarding yesterday’s events. 

“I assure you racism, misogyny, bigotry and hatred will not be tolerated on this campus,” Davies said, repeating a statement from a university-wide email sent out Nov. 8. 

During her speech, Coleman outlined four demands that CMU administration should implement within a month.

Central Michigan University President Robert Davies speaks during the CMU chapter of the NAACP's protest of a racist event that happened Nov. 7 in Sweeney Hall.

Sterling Heights junior Alysha Lewis said the demands were reasonable, should be met and can be met.

“Change needs to come to CMU’s campus,” she said. “I hope that justice gets served for the women that this happened to.”

Though the event was organized in under 24 hours, turnout was large, with about 200 people assembling to show their support for those affected.

“It’s super heartwarming and welcoming,” Rose said. “I’m so glad that so many people showed up so that I don’t feel like I’m alone in this. The community is here to be with me through this, move forward and not let this be something that happened and let it die in the past.”

Unfortunately, yesterday’s incident is not the first of its type on CMU's campus.

“(Duncan and Rose) are not the only ones who have been through this before,” NAACP Adviser Elayashia Kendall said. “It’s sad that it had to take six or seven incidents for it to be publicized instead of the first time something like this happened.”

The Nov. 7 event fostered disappointment and frustration within the community, but the Nov. 8 rally aimed to inspire hope and change.

“Tonight proves to the naysayers that we are a community,” said Multicultural Academic Student Services Adviser Jonathan Glenn. “If you look around, there are different types and shades of people here, but everyone is smiling. Something horrible happened last night, but we’re smiling and that proves love always trumps hate.”  

The NAACP is holding a forum as a follow-up event Nov. 9 at noon in the Center for Inclusion and Diversity.