Omega Psi Phi hosts women's self-defense class

Flint martial arts instructor Jeff Wheeler teaches CMU women how to reverse being held from behind on Nov. 15 at the Student Activity Center.  

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. held a self-defense class for women on Nov. 15 in the Student Activity Center. 

The event, titled "The Get BaQ," was instructed by Flint Sophomore Quiara Wheeler and her father Jeff Wheeler. The event was one of five that Omega Psi Phi had planned as a part of their founder’s week which ends Nov. 18. 

Wheeler, who’s been practicing martial arts since she was three and has been teaching it since she was 12, said knowing how to defend oneself is important.

“Events like this are very important, especially for college students, to gain knowledge and technique for instances that may happen on or off campus,” Wheeler said. 

The women who attended the event were taught a vast array of moves designed to help them protect themselves should they ever encounter a dangerous situation. The moves included tips on what to do if someone grabbed them from behind and what to do if someone was trying to throw a punch at them. 

Both Wheeler and her father mentioned during the event that women are far more likely to be the victim of an attack than men and this is especially true on college campuses. 

According to the UN Women website, 23 percent of female undergraduate students reported having experienced sexual misconduct or sexual assault in a 2015 survey conducted across 27 universities. 

Some national studies show that up to 70 percent of women have experienced physical and/or sexual violence at the hands of an intimate partner and women and girls account for 71 percent of human trafficking victims detected globally. 

The Office of Women's Health states that one in five female college students experience sexual assault and that students are at the highest risk of sexual assault the first few months of their first and second semesters in college.  

There were a little more than 20 women that attended the event. West Bloomfield sophomore Kennedi Carr said the event was beneficial for her because it gave her the skills to combat a potential attacker. 

“Normally when someone is attacking you they don’t expect you to have skills to protect yourself,” Carr said. “To be a step ahead of someone who is trying to hurt you can be very beneficial and if no one teaches us then how could we know.” 

Troy senior and president of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. Emmanuel Glass said he hopes the women who participated in the event will be better prepared to defend themselves. 

“I hope that they’re aware at all times and to be on the lookout and that they know to run if need be and how to protect themselves if need be,” Glass said. 

The Central Michigan University community received information about a possible sexual assault that took place on the evening of Sept. 17. The information indicated that the assault took place in between Brooks Hall, the Park Library and the Music Building.

Glass said with this recent event of sexual assault on campus that it is important for females to be prepared for these types of situations.