Wrestling looks to gain national recognition in Las Vegas

cmuvsmu-17
Sophomore Matt Stencel wins his match against a Michigan Wolverine on Nov. 11 at McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan wrestling hasn't competitively hit the mats in three weeks since their dual-meet against the University of Michigan on Nov. 11 in McGuirk Arena.

In that span, the Chippewas have worked on training, conditioning and improving from their last time out — a 32-12 loss to the Wolverines. 

“We’ve had real good training, we’ve had eight really good days and four days this week,” Chippewa head coach Tom Borrelli said. “We needed that time, we needed those two events, the Michigan State Open and the (dual against) the University of Michigan to evaluate the things we need to work on.”

One thing that the Chippewas are working on most is developing a stronger confidence, which could translate to victories down the road. 

“We’re real young so we have a lot of technical things to work on and improve on, but also just confidence,” Borrelli said. “When you’re young, you’re not as confident as you should be. You kind of tip toe around not be aggressive enough.”

The Chippewas prepare for the Las Vegas Invitational, which features many of the top programs in the country. CMU knows the time is now to gain national recognition with a strong performance in Las Vegas. 

“I can speak for myself and speak for the rest of the team when I say that we’re excited,” said sophomore Matt Stencel. “We’ve worked hard the last week and a half, so we’re excited to go show off in Vegas.”

The Las Vegas Invitational begins on Friday, Nov. 30 and concludes on Saturday, Dec. 1.