Visiting judge found in Ian Elliott sexual assault case, hearing scheduled for Dec. 18

download

Ian Elliott. 

A new court date for the former Student Government Association president in a sexual assault case has been set for 1:30 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 18 at Isabella County Trial Courthouse. 

Ian Elliott, 24, of Cheyboygan, will appear in court for a hearing on the reinstatement of sexual assault charges. Elliott was originally charged with two felony counts of sexual misconduct in the third degree and one felony count of assault with attempt to penetrate. The incident occurred on Sept. 1, 2016, where Elliott allegedly sexually assaulted CMU graduate student Rachel Wilson.

The case, which was set to go to trial on May 7, 2018, was dismissed by the Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney's Office on April 6, 2018.

On Oct. 31, the Michigan Attorney General's Office filed a motion to reinstate the charges against Elliott. When the motion hearing took place on Dec. 3, Isabella County Judge Mark Duthie recused himself. Duthie said he felt he couldn't rule on the case after having conversations about a story published by Central Michigan Life on Oct. 11, which detailed Wilson's account of the assault.

Judge Paul Chamberlain also recused himself and did not give a reason.

A new visiting judge will hear the case on Dec. 18.

About Emma Dale

Editor-in-Chief Emma Dale is a junior from Grand Haven double majoring in journalism and political ...

View Posts by Emma Dale →