Men's basketball takes down Youngstown State in triple overtime

cmuvsconcordia-3
Senior guard Shawn Roundtree shoots a free throw on Nov. 6 at McGuirk Arena.

Shawn Roundtree showed a sense of urgency when his team needed it most during the victory over Youngstown State for the Central Michigan men's basketball team. 

He scored nine of the first 11 points for CMU (7-2) in the third overtime, propelling CMU to a 100-94 victory over the Penguins (3-7). 

CMU bounced back from a loss to Texas Christian University and completed a three-game road trip with a 2-1 record. 

"I couldn't be more proud of our team win or lose with how much went against us missing plays we normally make," said head coach Keno Davis. "As for Shawn, it's nice to know we have someone who can have the ball in their hands because he wants it. He finds a way to win the game."

What happened

Following a pair of buckets by Naz Bohannon and a 7-0 run, the Penguins led 9-2 early in the first half. The Chippewas would respond.

The Chippewas went on a 8-0 run to take 29-21 advantage with 6:35 left in the opening half.

They didn't stop there. Senior guard Larry Austin Jr. would slash down the lane for an and-one bucket and make the free throw to give CMU its largest lead of the game at 42-29. The Penguins  cut into the lead, making it 45-38 at the break.

Austin continued to score to start the second half, helping build CMU's lead to 11 points. Then, YSU started to take over. 

"We might not be in the shape we need to be right now with how tired we were in the second half," Davis said. "As this season goes along there's a lot of things our coaching staff can teach these guys because of their talent."

Roundtree scored nine of his 23 points in the final overtime to help win the game. Austin scored a team-high 24 points and added 11 rebounds. Transfer forward Rob Montgomery fouled out with a career-high 17 points.

Following a three-game road trip, the Chippewas will be back in Mount Pleasant to take on Southern Utah at 4:30 p.m. on Dec. 8 in McGuirk Arena.