Guevara discovers bench contributors; women's basketball ready for Toledo

womens-basketball-jan-5-akron-4
Senior guard Jaeda Robinson gets ready to shoot a free throw on Jan. 5 in McGuirk Arena.

When the Central Michigan women's basketball team ekes out a win like Saturday's 82-75 defeat of Kent State, two players are usually fundamental factors – senior guard Presley Hudson and senior forward Reyna Frost.

Battling foul trouble, Hudson sat out the entire fourth quarter. Frost barley played throughout those same 10 minutes. Both stars had four fouls.

CMU coach Sue Guevara's back was against the wall, and she received backup from a trio of bench players – senior guard Jaeda Robinson, sophomore forward Kyra Bussell and junior guard Gabrielle Bird.

Those three took control of the game, especially from a defensive standpoint, to take the Chippewas to 13-4 overall and 4-1 in the Mid-American Conference. Robinson played a career-high 19 minutes, scoring three points with four rebounds.

Coming into the season, Guevara's goal was to develop a presence off the bench. One season ago, when CMU made its run to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16, sometimes the starting five were the only players to touch the court.

This time around, without forward Tinara Moore and guard Cassie Breen, Guevara's scheme has changed.

"What that did for me is it gave me a tremendous amount of confidence because our two (studs) are sitting on the bench, but we were better defensively in the fourth quarter," Guevara said. "Credit Gabby, credit Buss and credit Jaeda.

"They're producing. Can they contribute now? It shows me that yes, they can contribute now and down the road when we need them because it's all about March."

Since Robinson is specifically a scout team member during practice, she emulated Kent State all week. One day before the game, Guevara called her out in front of the team to send a message.

"Jaeda, what you're doing today, can you do that tomorrow?" Guevara questioned.

"Yeah, coach," Robinson responded.

"Okay, don't be surprised – you're going to come off (the bench) really early," Guevara said.

Robinson was one of the first reserves to play against Kent State. Guevara hopes the other bench players notice Robinson's work ethic, aim to reach higher and find the floor with consistency.

Scouting Toledo

Fresh off three-straight MAC blowouts, the Chippewas split their last two against Miami (Ohio) and Kent State. Next up is Toledo – the No. 2 ranked defense in the conference.

CMU tips off against Toledo at 7 p.m. Jan. 23 at Savage Arena in Ohio.

The Rockets (11-5, 3-2 MAC) are paced by senior center Kaayla McIntyre, leading Toledo in scoring with 15.3 points per game and rebounding (7.2).

Mikaela Boyd, in her last time out, poured in 19 of her 25 points in the second half to help coach Tricia Cullop's team maintain a 79-65 victory against Bowling Green on Saturday. The senior guard averages 9.9 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.3 assists per contest.

Guevara said she looks at Boyd and McIntyre as a one-two punch like Hudson and Frost. Adding weight to the claim, both sets of players entered college basketball as freshmen at the same time and have MAC championship rings.

"They are very physical," Guevara said. "I like that we've been able to withstand the physicality of some teams, but I'd like us to become more like those teams off the ball."

From 2011-15, Crystal Bradford set a CMU program record for all-time scoring. Hudson, at 1,988, needs just 19 to break the mark.

In the last six meetings between CMU and Toledo, the record is split.

Following a tough road game, Guevara's group returns home for a matchup against Eastern Michigan at 1 p.m. Jan. 26 at McGuirk Arena.