Defensive end Fred Stokes gets 'home' feeling at CMU, commits to Chippewas

fullsizerender-1
Class of 2019 defensive end Fred Stokes poses for a picture during his official visit to Central Michigan on Jan. 26. (Photo Credit: Fred Stokes)

After sitting down and talking with Central Michigan defensive coordinator Robb Akey, 2019 defensive end Fred Stokes knew he could succeed for the Chippewas.

Stokes, from Montini Catholic High School in Westchester, Illinois, said Akey's scheme is a "recipe for success on the defensive side of the ball."

Two days after his official visit to CMU on Jan. 26, Stokes committed to coach Jim McElwain's group. He's looking forward to joining the team and being exposed to the football atmosphere in Mount Pleasant.

McElwain and Akey told Stokes he has "great potential" and projects him as a defensive end on either side of the line.

"I had time to talk to each of the coaches, so I think that I have a great relationship with all of them," Stokes said. "But coach McElwain and Akey really stuck out to me.

"They just talked about how excited they are to have me a part of the program."

Akey, 52, has spent time coaching at Weber State, Northern Arizona (defensive coordinator), Washington State (defensive coordinator), Idaho (head coach) and Florida before joining CMU under McElwain. While at Idaho, he compiled a 20-50 coaching record and won his only bowl appearance.

From just a weekend spent with Akey, the 6-foot-5, 200-pound incoming defensive lineman said the veteran coach is a clear leader and motivator. 

"I can tell he will push me and the team in a very positive direction," Stokes said. "He's a great person."

In order to have a successful career as a Chippewa, Stokes has three goals in mind – make an impact on the team, bring a championship to Mount Pleasant and earn his bachelor's degree.

Stokes had other offers from Notre Dame College (Ohio), University of Mary and Nebraska at Kearney. He will sign his national letter of intent on Feb. 6 and get to campus this summer to prepare for CMU's 2019 season.

CMU's 2019 class now has 18 members. Of the group, 16 put pen to paper during the December early signing period. Stokes is the second since then to make a commitment to the Chippewas.

The only other defensive linemen in CMU's incoming class are defensive end Max Saylor from Brother Rice High School in Bloomfield Hills and defensive tackle Jacques Bristol from Booker High School in Sarasota, Florida