2019 DL Jacques Bristol commits to CMU, will sign in February

fullsizerender
Class of 2019 defensive tackle Jacques Bristol poses for a picture during his official visit to Central Michigan on Jan. 26. (Photo Credit: Jacques Bristol)

When 2019 defensive lineman Jacques Bristol went to Central Michigan for an official visit on Jan. 26, he immediately felt at home.

Just two days later, on Jan. 28, the prospect from Booker High School in Sarasota, Florida announced his commitment to join the Chippewas. 

Bristol will make his pledge official by inking his national letter of intent on Feb. 6, known as National Signing Day.

Jim McElwain's assistant coaching staff additions served as a catalyst for Bristol's decision. He met with defensive line coach Justin Hinds and defensive coordinator Robb Akey while in Mount Pleasant this past weekend.

"I love the coaching staff," Bristol said. "They were very welcoming as soon as I met them. They treat me like family. It felt like home when I was there, and I feel like God put me there for a reason."

Hinds told Bristol he enjoyed the young lineman's style of play, while Akey went over the defensive scheme.

Akey plans to use Bristol in the three-technique – a defensive lineman who typically lines up on the outside shoulder of a guard. Bristol said he will play anywhere on the line to help CMU, but he feels most valuable at defensive tackle due to his height.

"He was showing me what defensive style they will be running," Bristol said of his conversation with Akey. "He also said he likes the way I’m aggressive on the field."

Bristol was offered by CMU on Dec. 13. He had an offer from Southern Miss but landed on the Chippewas. He will get to campus sometime in the summer to prepare for the 2019 season.

The 6-foot, 285-pound defensive lineman said he's coming to CMU with a head full of steam, ready to compete. He hopes to find the field sooner than later but understands the process of a freshman at the Division I level.

"At the end of the day, I’m going to have to prove (I can play) to coach as soon as I get up there," Bristol said. "I also have to learn from my teammates that have been there."

In order to have a successful career as a Chippewa, Bristol has three goals in mind – make All-Mid-American Conference, maintain over a 3.5-grade point average and graduate with a bachelor's degree.

Bristol began playing football when he was six years old and his cousin, Abe Brown, played at Louisville from 2003-06 as a defensive back.

CMU's 2019 class now has 17 members. Of the group, 16 put pen to paper during the December early signing period. Bristol is the first since then to make a commitment to the Chippewas.

The only other defensive lineman in CMU's incoming class is defensive end Max Saylor from Brother Rice High School in Bloomfield Hills.