Griffin Forum will welcome former ambassador to discuss building better communities

screen-shot-2019-02-17-at-11-08-05-am

At The Griffin Policy Forum, panelists will discuss the importance of building better communities at 7 p.m. Feb. 18 in the Central Michigan University Charles V. Park Library Auditorium.

The forum discussion will center on building better communities. The featured speaker is Delano Lewis Sr., a former U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of South Africa. He will be joined by his son, Geoffrey P. Lewis, and Kevin Essebaggers, a news anchor for 9&10 News, who will serve as the moderator. 

Panelists will explore how passion, power, politics and purpose play important roles in the vibrancy of communities. The first 50 people to arrive to the forum will receive a free copy of Lewis’ book, “It All Begins With Self." 

“I hope students and guests from the surrounding community will leave with a deeper understanding of how we are all connected, and that each of us can do something to help make the lives of each other better by unleashing our passion with purpose,” said Griffin Chair and political science and public administration faculty David Rutledge.

Rutledge will open the forum by introducing Richard Rothaus, dean of the College of LIberal Arts and Social Sciences. Rothaus will welcome the audience and then introduce the forum moderator Essebaggers. Following keynote Lewis, Essebaggers will conduct a “living room style” interview with the ambassador and his son.

“As the Griffin Chair in Political Science, I’m honored to have the privilege of framing relevant topics and bringing together experts including political leaders to discuss those topics,” Rutledge said. “My goal is not only to bring to our campus relevant topics and knowledgeable speakers, but to do it in a way that elevates our consciousness of both the diversity of people and opinions.”