Judo Club members benefit from mixed martial arts training

cmujudo

CMU Judo Club vice president Chris Carpenter traps secretary Brandy Mathewson in a submissive hold.

Although small in number, the Central Michigan University Judo Club fills the McGuirk Events Center wrestling room with energy and vigor in its weekly gatherings. 

“We follow the traditional judo style of integrity and the basis of martial arts which is discipline and respect for other people,” said Grand Rapids junior and Judo Club President Mason Haynes.  

The Judo Club incorporates elements of Jiu-Jitsu, another grappling martial art. Because of this they have a more well-rounded practice that helps during tournaments.  Grappling means there are no strikes, kicks or punches permitted. Grappling involves takedowns, chokes, joint manipulation and other submission techniques to defeat opponents.

Judo actually translates to “gentle way” in Japanese. The form of wrestling dates back to the late 1800s. 

Haynes has been involved with the club since his freshman year. He coordinates practices by scheduling guest instructors and making lesson plans. Because of the club's small size, the members can communicate easily through Snapchat. 

A regular practice involves stretching and basic drills, followed by guest instruction. It concludes with sparring, where members wrestle each other. Haynes says the club is playful and satirical to long-time members as they often crack jokes and critique each other's form. 

However, a newcomer should not be discouraged. Haynes said the club welcomes anyone with any level of prior experience and will work to help build them into capable grapplers with positive reinforcement. 

Of course, judo keeps one in top physical condition with constant, varied movement. 

“It is both aerobic and anaerobic, like lifting weights and running at the same time, which has tremendous benefits for 'burning' calories,” the USA Judo Sports Medicine Subcommittee wrote. “These lessons can truly benefit the developing, immature mind and body.” 

Haynes said he also benefits from judo on a mental level, as he attempts to calculate and predict his opponents' actions. He feels he gains new mental perspectives. 

“It just feels good to do, it definitely keeps you more focused,” Bellevue sophomore and judo club secretary Brandy Mathewson said. 

As secretary, Mathewson is responsible for smaller daily operations and logistics for the club. She also supports Haynes points about the mental and emotional benefits of mixed martial arts. 

The CMU Judo Club participated in its first tournament of the year Feb. 24 at Michigan State University. Vice President Chris Carpenter took first place in his division, while member Kevin Fisher took third.

Haynes and the rest of the judo club executive board are looking forward to expanding their reach to students. They hope to increase the size of the club from to 10 members a week to 20-30 by having a bigger presence at MainStage, as well as advertising to other RSOs and some greek organizations. 

“If you’re looking for something new, come on and check us out,” Haynes said. “It definitely sounds a lot scarier than it actually is. We’ll get you suited up and you can see if you like it.” 

Students interested in attending a lesson or joining the club can visit 7-9 p.m. on Sunday, Tuesday or Wednesday nights.