COLUMN: Kareem Hunt's return to NFL sheds bad light for everyone involved

alaynas-mug

In February 2018, Kansas City Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt was caught on camera shoving and kicking a woman in Cleveland, Ohio.

Yes, the situation occurred in the same city that recently signed Hunt to a contract for the 2019 NFL season – just two months after he was released by the Chiefs.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure why the Browns picked him up.

The signing of Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde this offseason already set a sturdy backfield for the Browns. More power to them by adding more talent, but the front office is riding a fine line between giving someone a second chance and lacking moral values.

Not only does this shed a bad light on the Browns but even more so the NFL. 

Hunt’s punishment was a slap on the wrist and a timeout. In other words, a six-game suspension to start the season.

The fact that he was given a second chance this soon after the incident is immoral. He didn’t even have time to sweat the thought of being jobless. And in no way, shape or form has he done anything to improve his image since the matter.

Cleveland had every legal right to add Hunt to the roster and general manager John Dorsey made the unpopular opinion to do so. However, the NFL is the reason the Browns were able make it happen.

Sweeping things under the rug is something the NFL has been well known for. 

Rueben Foster provides a prime example of this when the NFL turned a blind eye after the linebacker was arrested three different times in 2018. Two of those were for domestic violence.

Hunt has been allowed the opportunity to be a part of the league once again, just months after his unexplainable behavior was brought to the public eye. Not only is Hunt’s image ruined, but it also tampers the NFL as a whole and has the people questioning Dorsey’s integrity.

I’m not saying the Browns won’t have success with the addition of Hunt.

However, his baggage off the field could come into play.

I imagine the fans will be having plenty of mixed emotions while cheering on a player who was involved in an act of domestic violence. Not only will Hunt have to gain the fans acceptance, but he must gain the approval of his teammates and coaching staff.

Whether or not Hunt has success in Cleveland still doesn’t justify him being able to jump right back into the swing of things so fast. The NFL needs to do a better job delivering a consequence that will ensure something like this won’t happen again. 

Who is to say that Hunt won’t endanger someone's life again?

Bringing him back this soon could teach him nothing, and the NFL is left to pay the price.