Smithsonian museum curator to give meteorite seminar at CMU

19293_logot

Catherine Corrigan, curator of the Antarctic Meteorites program at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History, will give a seminar entitled “The Edmore Meteorite: A new piece of the greater Solar System puzzle” at 4 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 28 in the Central Michigan University Charles V. Park Library Auditorium.

A Michigander herself, Corrigan will discuss the Edmore meteorite, the discovery of which was announced in Oct. 2018 by CMU, along with reasons scientists study meteorites and how to identify meteorites. 

The presentation will also discuss the 3D model of the meteorite created by department of art and design faculty Jeremy Davis, and will give those in attendance a chance to see the meteorite in person.

“There will be something for everyone, whether science, arts, technology, or even social science inclined,” said earth and atmospheric sciences faculty Mona Sirbescu, who initiated the seminar.

After the presentation, Corrigan will have time to take informal questions from the audience in the library’s Barber Room. Appetizers will be available at this time for all those who attended the event.

Attendance is free but is limited to 100 people. 

“This is an event that is truly open for anyone from the CMU campus and broader community around who is interested in the Edmore meteorite story," Sirbescu said, "and how, in general, meteorites are used to decipher the origins of the solar system and of our planet.”