'Threads Fashion ID' to highlight diversity April 6

threads-sriegler-11

Models walk down the runway at Threads Fashion Show on April 7 at Finch Fieldhouse.

The 21st annual Threads Fashion Show will have a more diverse and inclusive group of models walking down the runway than previous years.

“Threads Fashion ID” is at 7 p.m. on Saturday, April 6 in the Central Michigan University Biosciences building. Doors open at 5 p.m.

“This year’s theme is ‘Threads Fashion ID’ and really it’s a celebration of diversity, it’s a celebration of all different modalities based on race, based on gender, based on body habits, all of it,” said Ian Mull, Threads faculty adviser. “We are really trying to embrace the idea that fashion is for everybody and we wanted to make sure that we did a good job of communicating that through our entire process.”

Mull said thinks this year’s focus on diversity and inclusion can be seen in the models, designers and even the collections. 

The 27 collections, designed by the 24 designers, will be displayed by the 122 models featured in the event.

“This is the most models we’ve ever had,” said Bay City senior Alivia Ferguson, Threads producer. “So maybe the most looks we’ve ever had.”

The collections have a variety of designs, including an entire collection of plus-size fashion. 

“We have a lot of bridal wear, bridal collections or more formal attire,” said Grand Blanc graduate student Cecilia Alfaro, Threads producer. “This year we have a lot of designers who went the costume design route instead of ready-to-wear.” 

Due to the technology available to students in the fashion department, a lot of the fabric is hand dyed or digitally printed.

“We had a lot of designers who chose to 3D print different accessories for their garments, whether it was earrings or some sort of body adornment,” Alfaro said.

The collections do connect to the theme, but the main focus is the models.

“It’s a definitely a big change from last year, in terms of the different types of models that we’re getting,” said Threads producer and Detroit senior Chloe White. “It’s more diverse than last year, it’s definitely a step up, so we’re hoping next year there will be even more.”

Instead of allowing designers to pick their own models like in years past, the producers held a model casting call and picked 50 percent of the models in the show. White said the purpose of choosing half of each designer's models was to push them to design outfits out of their comfort zone, while promoting diversity on campus.

“With our theme we really wanted to touch on diversity, but then with some of the events that have happened around campus, it has given us this opportunity to shine light on that and show how diverse Central can be,” Alfaro said. “How there are people who are accepting of all people and all of types."

Since the fashion show will be in the Biosciences building rather than in Finch Fieldhouse like previous years, there will be less seating available, and no option for standing room. Mull said they have 980 tickets available, and once those sell out there will be no other way to attend the show.

“I think every year is so different. In a lot of ways (the show) is going way smoother than last year but there are different challenges,” Mull said. “For example, this year we’re in Biosciences, which is an academic building and so we’ve really had to work with that whole school, we’ve had to work with that whole college, to really collaborate.”

Tickets are currently available online through Ticket Central. General admission tickets are $13 and include admission to the show. VIP tickets are $60 and include prime seating, hors d’oeuvres, two drink tickets and a private reception before the show at 5 p.m. in the Education and Human Services building.