'International Cultural Expo' to showcase cultures from 22 different countries April 5

19293_logot

The International Student Organization (ISO) will host an International Cultural Expo, which will give students the opportunity to experience cultural traditions from more than 22 countries from 3:30-7:30 p.m. April 5 in Finch Fieldhouse.

The event will showcase cultures, traditions, decorations and foods from different counties, put together by Central Michigan University students. There will also be cultural performances that showcase traditional dances, singing and cultural dress for a fashion show. 

The International Culture Expo is an annual event that takes place every spring semester. 

"It was presented on a smaller scale around 1998 by the CMU International community and grew bigger in 2016 by targeting the Mount Pleasant community," said ISO President Sara Shalabi. "The purpose is showing CMU diversity, breaking stereotypes and presenting how beautiful countries and differences are from around the world by coming together."

This event is free but has limited seating with an estimated 400 attendance. It also includes a international food buffet serving Mediterranean and Indian style food.

Doors open at 3:30 p.m., and performances will go from 4-5:30 p.m. The table displays will be open from 5:30-7:30 p.m., and the international food buffet will open at 6 p.m. 

"This event means a lot to the international community where they feel happy and proud to represent their country to everyone," Shalabi said. "The event is like a tour around the different parts of the world and everyone is welcome to attend."