Movie 'Resilience' to be shown with faculty panel discussion March 19

19293_logot

The movie “Resilience” will be shown and followed by a panel discussion on trauma and resilience in children at 6 p.m. on March 19 in Anspach Hall room 161. 

The movie focuses on the science of adverse childhood experiences, such as abuse and neglect, and how one can fight back against toxic stress stemming from these traumatic events. The film is about one hour long. 

Psychology faculty members Larissa Niec, Sarah Domoff and James Gerhart, and College of Medicine faculty Furhut Janssen will be speaking on the panel after the film screening. Gerhart said he hopes that students will come with their own questions so the faculty and students can have a conversation about this topic.  

“Many of us are going to face stress at some point,” Gerhart said. “Coming back, reflecting on what our resources are, reflecting on our ability to solve problems and then setting some expectations about being resilient, I think, is going to be very helpful.”

While the movie revolves around children and adolescents being resilient, Gerhart hopes that the conversation will move to how resilience is important throughout an individual’s whole lifespan.

The event is free and welcome to all majors and disciplines. It is sponsored by the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, the department of psychology and the College of Medicine.