RSOs to speak out against oppression with storytelling event

19293_logot

"Social Justice Through Storytelling," a collaborative event that will focus on oppression and social justice, will be held at 7 p.m. on March 27 in the Bovee University Center Rotunda.

The event will feature a panel discussion about the topic of "othering," or viewing oneself as intrinsically different from another individual. Individuals on the panel will tell their own stories about being treated as an outsider.

The panel will consist of:

• Senior Julio Velasco, representing the Student Union for Racial Solidarity
  • Sophomore Riley Logan, representing the Muslim Student Association 
  • Senior Mateo Savedra, representing A Mile in Our Shoes 
  • Al Casey, speaking as a Robinson Diversity Representative 
  • Guest speaker Daniel Jones, representing Student Advocates for Prison Reform and the Incarcerated.

The panel will be followed by facilitated small-group discussions focusing on taking ownership of the oppression of others, which will end with a large-group debrief. 

“It’s going to be a very meaningful and personal look into intersectionality, privilege, oppression,” said Scottville senior Kaci Clayton, Refugee Outreach Collective secretary. “It’s not just that you come and sit; there’s also going to be facilitated discussion for people to actually participate and ask questions.”

The event will also present an opportunity to visit different Registered Student Organizations that focus on social justice issues. These RSOs include Refugee Outreach Collective, Student Advocates for Prison Reform and the Incarcerated, A Mile in Our Shoes, Muslim Students Association, the NAACP, the Organization for Black Unity and the Student Union for Racial Solidarity. 

The event is sponsored by the Office of LGBTQ Services. It is free and open to the public.