Charlie Frye unpacks Central Michigan's offense so far this spring

0f4a5581
Junior quarterback Tommy Lazzaro looks downfield to pass on Oct. 20 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Expect a personnel-driven offensive attack from the Central Michigan football team.

That's how coach Jim McElwain wants it, and offensive coordinator Charlie Frye is set to execute the plan.

While Frye rarely called players out by name, he generalized on each position group and shed light to where the Chippewas are at through three weeks of spring practice.

"I think we've done a good job being prepared," Frye said. "Kids are competing very hard. I'm pleased with the effort we are showing. The execution is coming along. Guys are making plays.

"We've got some really good running backs. We've got some guys that have big-time playmaking abilities outside. I think our quarterbacks are doing a good job commanding and leading their units. We are going to do what our team does best."

Quarterbacks

McElwain and Frye have a handful of quarterbacks to pick from, but it seems as if it could come down to seniors Quinten Dormady and Tommy Lazzaro. However, JUCO transfer David Moore, a junior who once played for Memphis, is also in the mix.

Frye said he looks for leadership, decision making on and off the field and accuracy when evaluating a quarterback, as well as completing passes in areas where the receiver is able to run after the catch.

"Each one of them has done good things," Frye said. "I like the command and leadership each one is showing. When they get a chance to play, they're going out and doing what we ask of them. The competition piece, I've been through it myself, those things just unfold with time."

Each quarterback has certain skills better than others. For example, Dormady has a better career accuracy in comparison to Lazzaro. However, Lazzaro is a stronger managing the option plays and knows all players in the locker room.

"At the end of the day, it comes down to which one is more consistent in leading the team and scoring points," Frye said.

Running backs

Two seasons ago, senior running back Jonathan Ward went for 1,494 yards from scrimmage and 13 touchdowns. Last season he had just one rushing score and 212 yards on the ground.

Frye said Ward has a clean slate due to the new staff, and he has done nothing but impressed through the way he runs, effort he shows and his ability to break tackles. As a senior, it's Ward's last chance to prove himself as a future NFL running back.

"I've been really impressed with him," Frye added.

As an ex-quarterback, Frye understands the need for Ward's legs this season to help open up the passing game for Dormady, Lazzaro, Moore or someone else.

"The run game makes everything else easier," Frye said. "It all starts with the run game. It's not just one person, it's all 11 doing their job. Whether it's the offensive line, receivers making blocks down the field, tight ends making a point of attack or quarterback carrying out fake to hold the backside (defensive) end. It's a team game."

Other running backs on the roster that could emerge behind Ward are senior Romello Ross, junior Kumehnnu Gwilly, sophomore Kobe Lewis and true freshman Lew Nichols.

"I'm very impressed with our running backs as a whole," Frye said. "They run hard and the effort they've shown has created long runs and the ability to break tackles."

Kalil Pimpleton

After sitting out the 2018 season due to NCAA transfer requirements, redshirt sophomore Kalil Pimpleton is finally able to play at wide receiver for the Chippewas.

Big things are expected from his 5-foot-9, 160-pound frame – noted as the quickest play on CMU's roster. Frye said Pimpleton might be the speediest athlete he's coached.

"He has elite speed, elite quickness," Frye said. "He's a special player with the energy he brings to practice every day. I've been very impressed with him."

At Virginia Tech as a freshman in 2017, Pimpleton played in five games. He ran once for four yards. Back at Muskegon High School, he was the 2015 and 2016 Muskegon Chronicle Offensive Player of the Year.

Other receivers expected to see playing time are senior Brandon Childress, redshirt sophomore Julian Hicks, senior Cameron Cole, senior Jamil Sabbagh, sophomore Drayton Law and junior JaCorey Sullivan.

"I don't think it's a bad thing to fly under the radar," Frye said. "Receivers are making plays, going up to get footballs."

Offensive line

For four college seasons and five in the NFL, Frye had to rely on his offensive line for protection, something the Chippewas have lacked in recent years.

While Frye said he can't speak to the past, he made it clear the offensive line has made serious strides through winter conditioning and spring practice. 

Two players that sat out due to NCAA transfer rules in 2018 are sophomores Ja'Raymond Hall and Luke Goedeke, and they will be available for 2019. A few others in the mix for starting time include sophomore Jamezz Kimbrough, junior Derek Smith, senior Steve Eipper, sophomore Nick Follmer and junior Jake Dominguez (JUCO transfer).

"As a whole, our offensive line has done a really good job," Frye said. "We're putting a lot on them with what we are doing at the line of scrimmage, but they've responded. It takes intelligent guys to go out and executed."