Gov. Whitmer names alumnus Isaiah Oliver to CMU Board of Trustees

thumbnail-img-8249
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer appointed Isaiah Oliver to the CMU Board of Trustees.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer appointed alumnus Isaiah Oliver to the Central Michigan University Board of Trustees today. 

Oliver will serve as the eighth trustee on the board. His term will expire after Dec. 31, 2024. 

Oliver is the President and CEO of the Community Foundation of Greater Flint. He will be the most recent CMU graduate, having finished his undergraduate degree in Graphic Design in 2007.

“It’s an honor for me to serve as a Central Michigan University Trustee. I hope to continue the university’s legacy of growth and excellence for current students and future generations,” Oliver said in a press release. “In this economy, education is the most useful tool our state has for increasing statewide economic competitiveness and citizen level economic self-sufficiency.” 

The newest trustee helped form the Flint Promise college scholarship program, which started on March 1, 2018. He received the Alumni Service Recognition Award from CMU in 2018. 

“In order to ensure Michigan’s success for generations to come, we must provide opportunities for every student in every community to succeed in the classroom,” Whitmer said in a press release. “I’m confident that Isaiah shares that dedication for opportunity and will make a strong addition to the Central Michigan University Board of Trustees.”  

Oliver graduated from Flint Northwestern High School in 1999. He's spent five years on the Flint Community Schools Board of Education and served as an administrator at Mott Community College.