'Pride Prom' to challenge traditional proms, celebrate love

19293_logot

The Gender and Sexuality Alliance Spectrum aims to add a more inclusive and ultimately accepting twist on a traditionally heterosexual phenomenon: Prom. 

The organization has titled the "Red Carpet themed" event "Gaypalooza." Their annual pride prom will be held from 7-10 p.m. on April 12 in Central Michigan University's Center for Inclusion and Diversity in the Bovee University Center. 

The dance-style event will feature free food and musical entertainment with stickers and pins available for purchase. 

"The goal of a Pride Prom is to create an inclusive event for people to be open about who they are, and give LGBTQ people the chance to experience the same milestone that heterosexual people get in high school," said Portage senior Katie Chizek, a Spectrum executive member and the event's chief coordinator. 

She said creating a liberating and loving experience exists as an annual and primary goal for her organization. She said she hopes to provide a space inspiring students of all sexualities to dance, connect and have fun. 

"This event gives us a chance to both give LGBTQ people a space to have a prom, as well as bring light to this issue," Chizek said. "Not everyone gets to have the prom they should, either because their high school prohibits them from going with someone of the same gender or enforces a dress code that makes students uncomfortable." 

Chizek said the event will provide a safe zone for students to reclaim their right to an iconic American tradition and celebrate the beauty of diversity and freedom to love. 

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →