Softball has four players earn All-MAC honors

softball3

First baseman Erika Underwood throws the ball to home plate during the game against Western Michigan University on April 11 in Margo Jonker Stadium.

Central Michigan softball had four athletes earn all Mid-American Conference honors.

Kaitlyn Bean was named to the All-Freshman Team, senior Sara Hansen earned All-MAC Second Team and both Rachel Vieira and Erika Underwood, both seniors, were named to the All-MAC First Team.

Underwood made first team honors for her second consecutive season. The senior from Addison, Michigan leads the team in hits (49), batting average (.353) and RBIs (33).

This was the second All-MAC selection for Vieira. The senior was named to the second team in 2017. She is second on the team in hits with 39 and is a defensive leader for CMU in the middle of the infield.

Hansen was the 2015 MAC Freshman of the Year, and she earned second team and all-freshman honors in 2015. She leads the Chippewas with seven stolen bases in only nine attempts and is batting .284 for the year – placing her on this year's second team.

Bean leads the Chippewas in the circle with a 4.98 ERA and 73 strikeouts. A righty from Oxford, Michigan, Bean has shown a good base to build on, posting an 8-6 record for the Chippewas in her freshman campaign.

CMU is currently battling in the MAC Tournament. Following a 7-0 loss to Miami (Ohio), the Chippewas will play in an elimination game at 2 p.m. May 10.