CMU Summer Theatre performs "California Suite" and "A Fox on the Fairway"

california-suite
Allen Park junior Abbey Demorow leans on Manistee junior Avery Kiefer during a scene in "California Suite" at a dress rehearsal June 20 in Bush Theatre.

As the crowd gave a resounding round of applause, the Central Michigan University Summer Theatre Company took a bow after delivering a performance of "A Fox on the Fairway" in Bush Theatre June 21. 

The performance was the second of the weekend, but the first of that particular show. 

In the summer, the CMU Theatre program runs two different shows. This year, "California Suite"by Neil Simon and Ken Ludwig's "A Fox on the Fairway" are the two selections that the theater company is performing. Theater faculty member Elaine DiFalco Daugherty and Department Chair Steve Berglund directed the plays.

The performances kicked off with "California Suite" on June 20 in Bush Theatre. The play is set in a Beverly Hills hotel suite, and each of the four scenes include a different married couple staying in the suite. Each couple has problems, but comes to a solution or revelation before the next one occupies the suite.

"A Fox on the Fairway," which was performed the next day, is a fast-paced series of exchanges and dilemmas in a country club. Each scene is a different time of day, and the entire play covers a 24-hour period full of shocking romance, sarcasm and golf. 

Mount Pleasant resident Mary Alsager attends CMU Theatre performances frequently. She enjoyed "A Fox on the Fairway" and was anticipating another strong performance for "California Suite." 

"I heard it's another good one," she said. "Some friends went and said that it's really good. They're a young couple and one liked the first scene and the other liked the third." 

Shaker Heights, Ohio senior Walter Mueller performs a scene in "A Fox on the Fairway" during a dress rehearsal June 19 in Bush Theatre.

On the stage, Walter Mueller is one of two actors pulling double-duty. The senior from Shaker Heights, Ohio is acting in both shows for his first mainstage production at CMU. He said memorizing lines and acting in two different shows is extremely difficult, but worth it.

"It's a hassle. I've never had to do it before," Mueller said. "The fact I'm doing two shows is a huge thrill but a lot of hard work. (However), everyone's been so easy to work with and that makes it so easy." 

Mueller praised the department as a whole for its talented faculty and students. 

"It's a great environment," Mueller said. "Our faculty is talented and so friendly. The people in the program are some of the best people you'll ever meet." 

The weekend will continue with two more performances on campus. "California Suite" will play again at 7:30 p.m. June 22 in Bush Theatre, and "A Fox on the Fairway" will have a matinee show at 2 p.m. June 23. 

Each show will hit two stops in Michigan. First at the BIC Center on Beaver Island July 5-6 and then The Playhouse at White Lake in Whitehall July 12-13.