Author of "The Faygo Book" to speak on campus Wednesday

joe-grimm-faygo
Courtesy Photo | Facebook Journalism professor and author Joe Grimm poses with a bottle of Faygo on Oct. 1, 2018 in Evanston, Illinois.

The campus community can learn more about their favorite carbonated beverage this week.

Joe Grimm, author of "The Faygo Book" will present his book at 7 p.m. Wednesday, June 12 in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium.

Grimm, a journalism professor at Michigan State University, is known for "The Faygo Book," which was published in 2018 and "Coney Detroit," which was published in 2012. Both books dive into the history of beloved Detroit-based companies.

According to Grimm's book, Faygo came into existence more than 100 years ago, when the Feigenson brothers – who were bakers – wanted a career change.They experimented with cake frosting recipes to create carbonated beverages.

In his book, Grimm explores the history of Faygo and tries to understand how the pop company survived through decades of economic turmoil. He also explains how Faygo has become more than just a pop company – now, it is an integral part of Detroit's culture.

After the presentation, there will be a reception in the Clarke Historical Library.

The event, which is part of the Clarke Historical Library Speaker Series, is free and open to the public.