'Back in school': Deron Irving-Bey re-enrolls in classes at CMU, returns to practice after academic dismissal

Central Michigan defensive end Deron Irving-Bey practices Aug. 7 at the Bennett Track Field.

Deron Irving-Bey is back.

Well, almost.

The defensive end has returned to classes at Central Michigan, meaning he's been fully cleared to practice for the Chippewas.

Irving-Bey's reoccurrence at team events comes after being academically dismissed from the university for the last six months – since the conclusion of the fall semester.

Even though the transfer from Michigan is enrolled in school and taking courses, there are still a few hurdles to jump before he gets on the playing field.

"He's been back in school," said CMU coach Jim McElwain. "Obviously, there's some waiver stuff that needs to happen, so we'll see what happens."

Irving-Bey transferred to CMU from Michigan on Aug. 21, 2018. He was forced to sit out the 2018 season due to NCAA transfer rules. Shortly after the 1-11 campaign was over, the defensive end was forced out due to academic struggles.

When originally asked about the situation, McElwain blamed it on misinformation between both Irving-Bey and the university.

"He was instructed on some things and got some misinformation," McElwain told Central Michigan Life in April. "Obviously, it's two sides to everything. He could've done some things better and he could've been informed better.

"He's a great person and a good kid."

The first-year coach also added Irving-Bey was enrolled at a junior college while on dismissal from CMU in hopes of improving his grades enough to return to Mount Pleasant. While unclear which JUCO school Irving-Bey attended, it's understood that he was able to get his academics in check.

Three days before former coach John Bonamego was fired from his position, he noted Irving-Bey as someone that would immediately help the defensive line in 2019.

"Deron Irving-Bey is going to add to the depth of the defensive line," Bonamego said after a late November practice. "He's a highly touted player."

Irving-Bey was a four-star prospect in the 2017 class, graduating from Southwestern Academy High School in Flint. He held the No. 249 overall ranking in the country and was No. 9 at strong-side defensive end and No. 4 in Michigan, per the 247Sports Composite.

As a high school senior, Irving-Bey registered 79 tackles, 17 tackles for a loss, 15 sacks, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. His scholarship offers included multiple Big Ten Conference programs, including Michigan, Michigan State and Maryland.

He participated in the 2017 U.S. Army All-American Bowl, was selected to the USA Today All-USA Michigan first team as a senior and named the Flint Journal’sDefensive Player of the Year for 2016.