Former CMU student Ian Elliott sentenced to one year in prison

ian-elliott-1-of-4
Ian Elliott walks into the court room for his sentencing Aug. 2 at the Isabella County Trial Court.

Facing her rapist in Isabella County Trial Court was the conclusion to Rachel Wilson's fight for justice. 

Former Student Government Association President Ian Elliott was sentenced to one year and one day in prison Aug. 2 as his father and fiancee looked on in tears. Elliott will begin serving his sentence immediately. Elliott is required to register as a sex offender in the state of Michigan for the rest of his life. 

Elliott pleaded no contest to one count of third-degree criminal sexual conduct. In Michigan, a no contest plea is not an admission of guilt. A plea of no contest means the defendant does not wish to contest the state's case and agrees to the imposition of a sentence. 

The court dismissed two other counts in Wilson's case and the charge in Landrea Blackmore's case. Blackmore's case was dropped, but as part of the agreement, she was invited to read a victim impact statement with Wilson during the sentencing hearing. 

On June 24, Elliott and the two survivors in the case agreed to the plea agreement.

The CMU alumnae met with media following the sentencing. Both women expressed satisfaction with the outcome of the case.

"Today is a huge victory," Wilson said. "After today, the sentences (Blackmore) and I served will be over and Ian Elliott's will begin."