COLUMN: To the fans at Kelly/Shorts Stadium, well done

cmufootballsept14-11

Fans in the student section wait for play to resume as Central Michigan calls a timeout against Akron Sept. 14 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Fans are accustomed to hearing phrases like, "Fire Up Chips" or "C! M! U!" or the jingling of keys on defensive third downs.

So many damn keys, I'm still trying to get the ringing out of my head.

But I won't complain.

These sounds echo throughout sections W, X, Y and Z at Kelly/Shorts Stadium, best known as the student section. 

I had attended Central Michigan football games before I officially enrolled at CMU and went to all but one home game last season, my first as an incoming transfer student. 

This season, I watched the season opener against Albany from the press box to see the Chippewas secure a 38-21 win to begin the campaign. However, the game had a weird feeling because of the 108-minute weather delay before kickoff. 

Understandably, the game felt rushed in terms of the "atmosphere" piece to game day. 

After enduring a big loss at Wisconsin last weekend, I hatched an idea to see how the students were feeling about their football team.

From the chants, the cheers, cheering and singing of the CMU Fight Song, the experience was enjoyable, impressive and gave hope for the future.

I was in the student section. 

Saturday's Mid-American Conference opener against Akron had all the makings of a fantastic afternoon for football. The blue sky, warm temperatures and the Marching Chips hyping the crowd of 18,641 up hit me as a fan of the sport. 

I won't lie, I got goosebumps for a second.

First-year CMU coach Jim McElwain felt the same way.

"I looked around and was like, 'Wow, this is real," McElwain said. "I hope the fans can feel this team really wants to make them proud. We're going to keep working at it. My hats off to the students who, for the most part, stayed. The fans were into it."

As the game started, I was able to take in some other sights and sounds as CMU won its first MAC and FBS game since the 2017 season as it beat the Zips, 45-24. 

McElwain also gave a shoutout to the band.

"Those guys are pretty awesome, and they do a heck of a job," McElwain said. "It's sure fun to see our guys at home celebrate with them by singing the fight song. We've got to keep doing that."

On the first Chippewa drive, wide receiver Kalil Pimpleton took a handoff from quarterback David Moore on the right side. Pimpleton, a quarterback in high school, stopped and fired a pass to Tyrone Scott. 

"I can't believe that just happened," one fan exclaimed. "That was awesome!" 

Needless to say, the fans enjoyed the trick play. 

Later on, when the Chippewas were driving midway through the first quarter, Moore was looking to pass on third-and-goal and threw an incompletion over the middle intended for tight end Tony Poljan. 

Fans were pleading Moore to look to his right as running back Kobe Lewis was in the flat and appeared open. He could've walked in for a touchdown. 

"He's open, he's wide open," a fan screamed. 

Tice ended up converting a field goal, which was, of course, met with applause. 

Central Michigan football fans watch the team as the second quarter begins against Akron Sept. 14 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

In the second quarter, Lewis scored the game's first touchdown on a 4-yard run. There was a lot of cheering, of course, and one element of game day in Mount Pleasant I somehow always seem to forget – The cannon.

Yes, I jumped.

One of the more exciting moments came at the end of the first half. Moore was able to find Pimpleton over the middle of the field and in the end zone for a 35-yard score with 37 seconds left in the half. 

The fans went insane, the roar was deafening for a second. I was ready for the cannon that time, by the way. 

CMU continued to build its lead throughout the second half and seized control of the game in the late stages of the third quarter. One fan said, "I feel like this is almost embarrassing for (Akron)," after Ryan Tice hit a 35-yard field goal with six minutes to play in the third stanza for a 30-10 lead.

Central Michigan linebacker Michael Oliver leads the team and student section in the CMU fight song after beating Akron Sept. 14 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

The positive points throughout the win were met with explosive cheers, the cannon and the CMU Fight Song. 

That game was special.

In all honesty, that might have been the first real chance for the student body to get a look at this year's new-look Chippewas. They turned out nicely and most stayed until midway through the third quarter.

Views from the press box showed that the sections generally blocked off for students were filling in well for the first time in a while. 

"It was a really good atmosphere," McElwain said. "Part of what we want to do is make this a place nobody wants to come play at. It starts a little bit at a time."

Being immersed in the student section again was a fun experience. The weather turned out to be perfect and the stadium filled in as a result. No doubt a winning football team also helps with that.

So, I say, hats off to you, Chippewa faithful. 

Awesome job coming out and supporting the football team. That game was special, and you were part of it. The Chippewas will return to Kelly/Shorts Stadium in three weeks to take on in-state foe Eastern Michigan – they'll need your support for that game, too. 

Until then, keep cheering on CMU as it hits the road to take on Miami (Fla.) on Sept. 21 and arch-rival Western Michigan on Sept. 28.