Toddler drowns in bathtub of CMU apartment

No foul play suspected, police say

Central Michigan University police cars parked outside the CMU police station on September 12, 2018.

A 14-month-old girl drowned in the bathtub of a Central Michigan University apartment complex Friday evening.

Police responded to the drowning at 8:50 p.m. Friday, Sept. 13 in Kewadin Village Apartments, at 301 W. Broomfield St., according to a news release issued by CMU Police Department. 

The 14-month-old girl had reportedly been found underwater in a bathtub and was not breathing, according to CMUPD. Bystanders attempted CPR on the girl until first responders arrived at the scene. The child was taken to McLaren Central Michigan Hospital by ambulance where she was pronounced dead, according to the release.

Police said there are no indications of foul play. The incident remains under investigation by CMU police, the Sparrow Hospital Medical Examiner's Officer and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. Police said the child's identity will be released once the investigation is closed. 

There were no charges related to the case at Isabella County District Court as of Monday, Sept. 16. 

University police were assisted on the scene by MMR Ambulance and the Mount Pleasant Fire Department.