Senior running back Jonathan Ward surpasses 2,000 career rushing yards

lrm-export-305084995433668-20191019-150537667

Central Michigan running back Jonathan Ward smiles after scoring his second touchdown against Bowling Green Oct. 19 Doyle L. Perry Stadium in Bowling Green.

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio – Jonathan Ward is a member of the 2,000-yard rushing club.

The senior running back entered Central Michigan's Oct. 19 game against Bowling Green with 1,967 career yards on the ground.

He was just 33 yards away from the milestone.

Ward finished the 38-20 victory against Bowling Green with 21 carries for 130 yards and three touchdowns at Doyt L. Perry Stadium.

It was more than enough to surpass 2,000 career rushing yards.

"I just love his toughness," said first-year coach Jim McElwain. "He's given everything he's got for this football team."

Before Saturday's win over the Falcons, graduate transfer quarterback Quinten Dormady said Ward had a "heart-to-heart" with everyone on the team.

Ward wanted to motivate the Chippewas, and he showcased those emotions with his play.

"I think he stepped up huge," Dormady said. "For him to come out and play like that was huge."

The 6-foot, 202-pound back has been with the Chippewas since the 2016 season. He played in eight games that year, rushing 36 times for 200 yards and two touchdowns.

As a sophomore in 2017, Ward took an increased role. He was the starter for all 13 games, carrying the ball 178 times for 1,024 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Due to a nagging injury in Central Michigan's 1-11 season in 2018, Ward only managed to produce 76 carries for 212 yards and one touchdown.

Ward has dealt with a shoulder injury since Week 2, and McElwain said the star running back still isn't to full health.

That hasn't stopped Ward from getting on the field.

"Jonathan is still not 100%," McElwain said Monday. "He doesn't come to practice in a red jersey. He wants to make sure he's out there with his teammates. I can't say enough about him."

Ward is one of many running backs in program history that has passed the 2,000-yard mark. The all-time leading rusher for an entire career is Curtis Adams (1981-84) with 4,162 yards.