Takeaways from annual Central Michigan women’s basketball scrimmage

lrm-export-39108438346839-20191027-134225043

Central Michigan forward MacKenna Kelly gets a rebound and attempts to score during an alumni game Oct. 27 at McGuirk Arena.

The Central Michigan women’s basketball team split for a scrimmage and later took on a team of alumni.

The Chippewas came away with a victory against the alumni. The Sunday morning game was the first opportunity to see this team under first-year coach Heather Oesterle.

Here are three takeaways after watching the team for the first time in the 2019-20 season.

New coach, changes to offense

Oesterle is a fan of good offense, and she won't deny that.

With Oesterle in charge, the team will look to add some elements to their offense that they may not have had under former coach Sue Guevara. 

Players took a lot of 3-point attempts, including sophomore center Jahari Smith. 

Smith, who did not attempt a 3-point shot in her first year as a Chippewa, took one during Sunday’s scrimmage. Oesterle was not surprised.

“I’m the type that wants all five people on the floor confident to score the basketball,” Oesterle said. “She shoots those in practice, so I told her if you shoot a 3 today I will take the team out for ice cream.”

Although the team will focus more on all five players being ready to score and having centers and forwards play more face-up basketball, the offense will still look familiar.

After all, Oesterle has been in charge of the offense for a few years now while under Guevara. 

New faces

Reyna Frost and Presley Hudson no more.

Central Michigan will be looking for players to replace the four-year production that was provided by Frost and Hudson, two players that have graduated and continued in professional basketball careers. 

Oesterle will give freshmen a chance to prove that they can help, particularly Molly Davis. 

The freshman guard from Midland will have a starting spot from the first game of the season under Oesterle. 

During the scrimmage, Davis showed flashes of the potential she has – clean passing, a no-look pass or two, creative dribble moves and a fearless shot. 

“I liked her coming off on-ball screens," Oesterle said. "She’s very hard to defend off that. Her 3-point ball didn’t go today, but she can really shoot the ball.”

Kate McArthur showed she can shoot from beyond the arc and will find a role for herself one way or another. Shine Strickland-Gills will play a defensive role this season and will continue to develop in her first season for the Chippewas. 

Depth

The Chippewas will be led by junior guards Micaela Kelly and Maddy Watters. Davis will start alongside them, while junior Kyra Bussell and Smith will start in the frontcourt.

Senior MacKenna Kelly will be the first player off the bench.

After Kelly steps on the floor, Oesterle will send out a consistent seventh player, but that person has yet to be determined.

“We have five starters right now and then Mackenna Kelly off the bench,” Oesterle said. “I’m looking for seven, eight, nine people that can step in if somebody gets in foul trouble.”

For a team with postseason ambitions that are the same as under Guevara, the Chippewas need to find answers for their lack of depth or at least debunk the rumors that the team won't be able to play nine players deep.

Central Michigan has had success in the past with a seemingly shortened bench, but wins will come easier if a few bench players separate themselves and can become key players.

Oesterle and her staff have a good starting point for the season. With expectations as high as ever, there are still aspects of the game that need to fall into place during her first season at the helm.