SAPAs carry clothesline for Domestic Violence Awareness Month

SAPA members carry a clothesline of t-shirts decorated by survivors of sexual aggression on Oct. 8.

Members of Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates stood with a clothesline of t-shirts at the university seal. Many students passed by on their way to class, some stopped to read a few of the shirts and others gave a nervous glance before continuing on with their day. 

The SAPAs walked in silence across campus on Oct. 8 carrying the clothesline full of t-shirts donated by survivors of sexual aggression.

The shirts were decorated by the survivors. They displayed the survivors' stories, words of encouragement for other struggling survivors and quotes from their attackers.

From noon to 2 p.m., the SAPAs carried the clothesline through the Charles V. Park Library, Moore Hall, Pearce Hall, Dow Science Building, Anspach Hall, Bovee University Center and across campus sidewalks, pausing at various busy hubs around campus.

“The clothesline project is one of my favorite SAPA programs,'' SAPA member Sara Wright said. “It’s an honor to carry someone’s story and to be trusted with something so personal."

The goal of the clothesline project is to let sexual assault survivors know that they are not alone by sharing stories from fellow survivors.

“Being able to connect the voices of survivors to students on campus through the clothesline project was an amazing experience,”  SAPA member Alexandra Terry said.

The clothesline participants walked through the University Center, weaving through the tables, cubicles, and sofas, catching the attention of students in the building. 

“It made me realize how much people on campus support and care for survivors of sexual assault,” said sophomore Lillie Smith, a passerby of the clothesline walk.

The clothesline project is put on by the Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates every year as a part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month. If you’re interested in participating in any public SAPA events this month or later this year, check out the SAPA event calendar. Here are the other events happening in October:

Oct. 24 - Solidarity Survivor Speak Out

Show your support at the survivor speak out 7 p.m. in the University Center Rotunda room.

Oct. 24 - Wear Purple Day

Wear purple all day to show support for survivors of domestic violence.

Oct. 24 - Self Care Yoga

Relax with SAPA and partake in some self care yoga 7 p.m. in Kulhavi Hall room 145.

Oct. 29 - Spooky Euchre

Compete for prizes during spooky euchre with SAPA  at 5 p.m. in the University Center Maroon and Gold Chippewa rooms. Costumes encouraged.