CMU police investigating reported suspicious activity near library

Central Michigan University police cars parked outside the CMU police station on September 12, 2018.

Central Michigan University police are investigating a report of suspicious activity that occurred near the Charles V. Park Library last night.

Police have received two witness reports of a male suspect who reportedly followed female students out of the library to the parking lot between 8-9 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 22, said Lt. Mike Sienkiewicz of CMU Police Department.

The suspect was a white male reportedly wearing black clothing, Sienkiewicz said. 

University police are increasing patrols in the area and encourage students to utilize the SafeRides busing service, which has a stop in front of the library.

CMUPD tweeted Wednesday evening that the department is investigating the suspicious activity reported activity near the library. 

Authorities were first notified of the incident during a traffic stop Tuesday evening, Sienkiewicz said, when a female driver reported to police that she had been followed by a white, male suspect near the library earlier that evening.

Later, CMU police became aware of a tweet that circulated Twitter Tuesday evening which stated that another woman was allegedly followed from the library to her car.

"PSA to all girls at CMU I was just followed all the way to my car by a white male in all black in a hat with his hood up," the female student tweeted. "He was so close behind me I was forced to run around my car to jump in it and lock the doors as he proceeded to walk around the passenger side to the front of my car smiling at me as he walked away."

Sienkiewicz said police followed up with the woman who tweeted the allegation, whose experience was similar to the incident the first woman reported. 

Investigators are reviewing video surveillance footage near the library, but there are no suspects at this time, Sienkiewicz said.

Police encourage students to report any suspicious activity to CMUPD by calling 989-774-3081.