Davies addresses criticism on Chick-fil-A food truck at homecoming tailgate

homecoming-2019
Students gather for the CMU Homecoming game against New Mexico State on Oct. 12 in the Kelly/Shorts Stadium tailgate lot.

Central Michigan University President Bob Davies addressed a Chick-fil-A truck and backlash from students and faculty expressed following homecoming.

"I want you to know that I hear you. I understand why Chick-fil-A and its politics are upsetting to many people within our community, especially since we have ties so close to the LGBT community," Davies said.

The fast-food chicken chain has locations in over 40 states with strong ties to Southern Baptist beliefs. The company expressed a public opposition to same-sex marriage.

Davies said the university dining survey indicated a large number of students requested a Chick-fil-A on campus. 

"There's a fine line we must walk in responding to the requests of our students while adhering to our values and commitment to creating an inclusive and safe environment," Davies said.

The idea of allowing food trucks in the student tailgate area originally took place to provide alternative food options to students during homecoming. Chick-fil-A was one of the first companies to respond to the university's promotion.

Davies said the university did not invest any funds to bring them to campus and doesn't intend to at any point in the future.

"We do not plan to bring them back to campus anytime soon, and I assure you any future discussion about the company will involve more input from the campus community," Davies said.