CMU hires first executive director of Detroit outreach

warriner

Warriner hall in September, 2017.

Central Michigan University is employing a new strategy, which includes a new position, to focus on improving outreach in Michigan's largest city and metropolitan area.

The strategy includes a five-pillar strategic plan that focuses on improving student recruitment, alumni engagement, business engagement, business development and community engagement in Detroit.

The strategic plan will be lead Rhonda Welsh, the first executive director of Detroit outreach at CMU.

"Rhonda's extensive experience will help us increase our footprint in the metro Detroit area so we can better engage alumni, foster business and community relationships, and strengthen recruitment efforts," said President Bob Davies.

Welsh brings experience in the Detroit area and communications to the job. She has previously served as the alumni officer at Wayne State University's college of fine, performing and communication arts and as the assistant director of public relations for the College for Creative Studies in Detroit.

The strategy efforts include engaging with K-12 students in metro Detroit, building relationships with companies that have a high number of CMU alumni as employees and partnering with community organizations.

"Every one of our students and alumni are valued, from the Upper Peninsula to Detroit and everywhere in between," Davies said. "Because CMU has such a broad reach, it is important our resources are accessible throughout the state. The Detroit outreach position will help us to connect and engage with more metro Detroit students and alumni than ever before."