Michigan Radio podcast host, alumnus Bryce Huffman talks 'otherness' with students

huffman

Michigan Radio reporter and podcast host, Bryce Huffman poses after his seminar Oct. 30 in the Central Michigan Life office in Moore Hall room 436.

At the beginning of each episode of "Same Same Different," podcast host Bryce Huffman gives his guests ten seconds to list everything they identify as. In Huffman's case, he describes himself as, "a black, cis-gendered male from Detroit - a journalist, a poet, a comedian and unfortunately, a die-hard Lions fan."

Huffman spent Oct. 30 connecting with student journalists, reuniting with his old professors and speaking to students about the topic of 'otherness.'

In 2016, Huffman graduated from Central Michigan University with a journalism degree. He now works for the West Michigan branch of Michigan Radio, where he started as a reporting intern after graduating.

His podcast, "Same Same Different," launched earlier this month with "surprisingly" positive audience feedback, Huffman said. The podcast tackles all things race, identity and otherness and how individuals overcome it in everyday life.  

“When I first pitched the podcast idea I knew I wanted to get out of doing daily news for a bit and I wanted more people of color to listen to our air,” Huffman said.

The podcast went through vigorous structural changes by Michigan Radio's marketing department and Huffman's producers. The working title, prospected guests and whole ideas for episodes were scrapped and reworked.

Huffman said the podcast is like a "how-to-guide" to being the "other" in the room and looking past people's differences. Each episode is a step in the guide such as: Finding your people, reading the room or writing your own narrative.

His guests are recognized experts on a certain topic and live all over the world. Huffman's guests are never in the studio with him, instead, he records conversations by connecting his studio with a local studio wherever his guests may be, producing crystal-clear audio.

"We had to make it seem like we were occupying the same space, which I think we achieved," Huffman said. "A lot of people didn't know we weren't in the same room."

Each episode starts with a live recording of Huffman's "story slam" performances. In addition to being a journalist, Huffman is also a poet and stand-up comedian.

Huffman is unsure of the future of the podcast. He said if there is to be a season two, he and his team would most likely revisit original ideas for the show.

"Three to five years from now I doubt I'll be doing the podcast. I don't think it has the legs to have that many seasons," Huffman said. " I do think it's an idea that could be revisited."

"Same Same different" can be found on all streaming platforms or downloaded from Michigan Radio's website. New episodes are uploaded every Monday.