CMU psychology department creates Quality of Life room for students, faculty

qualityofliferoom-8450

The psychology department's Quality of Life Room is located in Sloan Hall Room 003E.

Faculty members in Sloan Hall noticed that people who didn't have their own office were having issues finding private spaces to breastfeed, pray and have peace and quiet during the busy work day.

That's why the Central Michigan University Psychology Department designated Sloan Hall Room 003E as a Quality of Life Room for students, staff and faculty to use.  

In early October, volunteers began to remove cabinets and refresh the walls and carpet. The group added a table and chair, prayer mat and shoe tray to the room. 

The room was officially open for use at the end of October.

"Individuals can visit without an appointment or reserve times for the semester (or shorter periods) by stopping by the psychology department main office (Sloan Hall Room 101)," psychology faculty Debra Poole said. "Reserved times are marked on a daily schedule that is posted outside the room."

There are ongoing initiatives to improve the room with mental health and mindfulness resources, as well as soothing wall decorations.

"Although it is too early to know how often the room will be used," Poole said, "its presence is a reminder that CMU strives to be an inclusive and welcoming learning community."