CMU football to play WMU game at Ford Field

centralmichiganfootballsept28-15

Central Michigan cornerback Darius Bracy attempts to strip the ball from a Western Michigan wide receiver Sept. 28 at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo.

There will be a new home for the battle for the Victory Cannon in 2020. 

Central Michigan will take on Western Michigan in Detroit this season, forfeiting the home-field advantage in favor of playing at Ford Field, home of the NFL's Detroit Lions. The matchup will be the 91st in the series between the two teams. 

An official date for the game has not been announced but is expected to be revealed in a press conference at 3 p.m. Wednesday at Ford Field. 

Detroit Lions team president Rod Wood, Central Michigan president Bob Davies, Central Michigan athletic director Michael Alford and Detroit Sports Commission senior vice president Dave Beachnau are all scheduled to speak at tomorrow's presser. 

The announcement of Wednesday's press conference comes in conjunction with the Mid-American Conference football schedule reveal coming Wednesday. 

According to Tony Paul of The Detroit News, Central Michigan will get the entirety of revenue generated by ticket sales and the game will serve as an anchor to a week of Chippewa-related events. There will also be shuttles available for students who wish to travel to the game. 

The Broncos lead the all-time series between the two teams 50-39-2 and have won the last two, including last season's 31-15 triumph at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo. Central Michigan's last win in the series came in 2017 by taking down the Broncos 35-28 at Waldo Stadium. 

The two teams first played each other in 1907, a 29-0 victory for Western Michigan, who was known as Western State at the time. Central Michigan first defeated the Broncos in 1927 with a 18-12 triumph. 

The Victory Cannon, the trophy awarded to the winner of the game, was first awarded to Central Michigan in 2008 after the Chippewas defeated the Broncos 38-28. 

This is developing story, this story will be updated as information becomes available.