Multiple Chippewas to switch positions as spring ball commences

centralmichiganfootballoct5-1-31

Central Michigan running back Kumehnnu Gwilly runs against Eastern Michigan Oct. 5 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Central Michigan football coach Jim McElwain announced multiple position changes at his first press conference of the 2020 season on Friday. 

Junior Norman Anderson, who started two games for the Chippewas at cornerback last season, will slide over to wide receiver. Kumehnnu Gwilly, formerly a running back, has slid to linebacker alongside redshirt-freshman Ormondell Dingle who moves from safety.

On the offensive end, junior Jamezz Kimbrough will play at the center position for the Chippewas, sliding over from the guard position. 

"You want to give guys opportunities where maybe the lines aren't as long," McElwain said. "We want these guys to have the shortest distance to get on the field for us."

Dingle, who was described by McElwain as an "academic redshirt" in 2019, will be participating in his first spring camp. According to McElwain, he grew immensely from a physical standpoint during his season off. 

Gwilly, a senior, converts to the defensive side of the ball after three seasons at running back. In his career, the Shelby Township native has 183 carries, 572 yards and three touchdowns. During his high school career at Utica, Gwilly was utilized at both running back and linebacker. 

"That was something that he wanted to do," McElwain said of Gwilly's position change. "He embraced it."

Gwilly and Dingle will join the linebacker room led by new position coach Tim Skipper, who comes to Central Michigan after spending the last two seasons as the defensive coordinator at UNLV. Skipper coached with McElwain at Colorado State from 2012-2014 and at Florida from 2015-2017.

"Skip's been doing it a long time," McElwain said. "We'll speak the same language, it won't be something new for the room, which I felt was really important for the youth in that room as well." 

Kimbrough will look to fill the void left at center by departed starter Steve Eipper, who graduated after playing 41 games in his four years with the Chippewas. Anderson made 15 tackles in 14 games at cornerback. 

Spring practices begin for the Chippewas on Saturday.