CRIME LOG: Mount Pleasant Fire Department extinguishes fire on Lansing Street

shop-with-a-cop3273

A Mount Pleasant Police Department car sits outside Walmart on Dec. 12.

The following incidents were among those handled by the Mount Pleasant Police Department from Feb. 12-17.

Feb. 12

Mount Pleasant Fire Department extinguished a fire on Lansing Street at 4:13 p.m. Firefighters saw heavy, black smoke coming from the north side of the structure. Two of the occupants were treated and transported to an area hospital for minor smoke inhalation. No firefighters were injured while putting out the blaze. The cause of the fire is still under investigation, according to a press release from the Department of Public Safety.

Feb. 14

Mount Pleasant Police got an open 911 call at 2:49 a.m. A man and woman could be heard arguing over the phone. Police rushed to a home on Lansing Street to discover a boyfriend and girlfriend with scratches on both of their faces. Both had been drinking and arguing over family issues. The 49-year-old man was lodged for domestic violence.

City police officers went to Whitney Street around midnight in response to an open 911 call where they heard two men arguing and fighting. Two brothers, both 41 years old, were found in the apartment. No arrests were made, and the incident was sent to the prosecutor's office for review.

Feb. 16

Two city patrolmen were positioned in downtown Mount Pleasant at 11:30 a.m. when a 36-year-old woman with outstanding warrants walked out of an apartment building. After lodging the woman for her warrants, the officers did a pat-down search and discovered she was carrying methamphetamine, heroin and fentanyl. 

Feb. 17

Mount Pleasant police were dispatched to Harold Street to investigate a domestic dispute, tipped by an anonymous caller. A 48-year-old woman reportedly started the violence by pushing her boyfriend. He hit her in the face, causing her to fall down. The woman got back up and punched his shoulder. The woman had also been drinking and using marijuana. Police arrested her for non-aggravated assault.

A city patrolman stationed on Alder Street at 4:20 p.m. recognized a 42-year-old man riding his bike with a warrant for arrest. When police began approaching him, the man tried to pedal away and a brief chase began. The man crashed into a snowbank while trying to turn a corner. The officer attempted to make an arrest while the man fought against putting his hands behind his back. Another officer arrived to help arrest the man arrested for obstructing the police.

Mount Pleasant Police received a call from Chipp-A-Waters Park reporting an apparently drunk woman screaming. Officers were dispatched and approached the woman and a 63-year-old man underneath a pavilion. The woman's face was red, and she appeared to be crying. She had gotten into a fight with the man, who was her boyfriend. The man hit her and held her down by the neck. The woman had forgotten the reason why they were fighting. The man would not answer any questions, saying he "just wanted to go to jail." He was arrested for non-aggravated assault.